Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:42 PM   #1
jamst149
macrumors member

Iphone 4: Trouble connecting to my wifi

So the first time I brought my iphone home I connected to my wifi network just fine. Left the house and when I came back I was unable to connect. Had to restart my router/modem to reconnect. This keeps happening over and over. Is there anything I can do to stop having to unplug my router/modem?
jamst149 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:45 PM   #2
calb
macrumors 6502

This is happening to my dad's 3G and only really started in the last couple of days. It won't keep a connection to the router.
calb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

It's a problem with your router not the iPhone.
Get a new router.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 04:56 PM   #4
ViPhone
macrumors regular

Same problem. Any advice on how to fix the problem with the router would be appreciated.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:15 PM   #5
calb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
It's a problem with your router not the iPhone.
Get a new router.
I can't work out whether you're being serious or having a joke at someone else's expense.

If you're being serious, you're wrong. My router is six months old. My iPod works fine with it, as did my dad's 3G until yesterday or the day before. Other WiFi connections work perfectly fine. I don't think the OP is in a radically different position.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by calb View Post
I can't work out whether you're being serious or having a joke at someone else's expense.

If you're being serious, you're wrong. My router is six months old. My iPod works fine with it, as did my dad's 3G until yesterday or the day before. Other WiFi connections work perfectly fine. I don't think the OP is in a radically different position.
Many routers drop wireless connections and have to be manually restarted again daily in order to allow connections again. I don't know if that's what the op meant or if it let's others devices to connect but just not the i4.
Again I don't think it's the i4 but a compatibility issue with the router. You should try doing a software update if possible on the router or try another router. My i4 works fine with all wifis I connected to so far.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:33 PM   #7
jamst149
macrumors member

It's just the iphone. No problem connecting with my laptop.
jamst149 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:47 PM   #8
trekkie604
macrumors 65816

you absolutely should NOT have to restart a wireless router daily. It's the phone.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:51 PM   #9
tooshaggy
macrumors regular

My wife keeps complaining about our router and wants me to restart it a few times a month. I do it just to make her happy. I know the router is fine because only she is having the problem on her-- ahem-- my MacBook pro.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 05:52 PM   #10
calb
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Many routers drop wireless connections and have to be manually restarted again daily in order to allow connections again. I don't know if that's what the op meant or if it let's others devices to connect but just not the i4.
Again I don't think it's the i4 but a compatibility issue with the router. You should try doing a software update if possible on the router or try another router. My i4 works fine with all wifis I connected to so far.
"This firmware is the latest version." I'm still waiting to buy my iPhone 4 but pointing out that a 3G is having issues... indicating that there may be problems with the latest iOS updates and certain routers.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 07:38 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by calb View Post
"This firmware is the latest version." I'm still waiting to buy my iPhone 4 but pointing out that a 3G is having issues... indicating that there may be problems with the latest iOS updates and certain routers.
True.
Seems to be some routers with the issue.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:46 PM   #12
psywzrd
macrumors 68030

What type of encryption are you using on the router? If it's WEP, try WPA2 and see if that works better for you. WPA2 is much more secure anyway.
psywzrd is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:53 PM   #13
AK10R
macrumors regular

Iím new to the wireless and have set up my D-link after I had my 4 since launch. I set it up to WEP and it works great. It also works on my wifeís 4, my kids Wii and TV. I have it password protected but did set it up as WEP.

Good luckÖ.
AK10R is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone