Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamst149

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
So the first time I brought my iphone home I connected to my wifi network just fine. Left the house and when I came back I was unable to connect. Had to restart my router/modem to reconnect. This keeps happening over and over. Is there anything I can do to stop having to unplug my router/modem?

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
This is happening to my dad's 3G and only really started in the last couple of days. It won't keep a connection to the router.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
It's a problem with your router not the iPhone.
Get a new router.
I can't work out whether you're being serious or having a joke at someone else's expense.

If you're being serious, you're wrong. My router is six months old. My iPod works fine with it, as did my dad's 3G until yesterday or the day before. Other WiFi connections work perfectly fine. I don't think the OP is in a radically different position.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I can't work out whether you're being serious or having a joke at someone else's expense.

If you're being serious, you're wrong. My router is six months old. My iPod works fine with it, as did my dad's 3G until yesterday or the day before. Other WiFi connections work perfectly fine. I don't think the OP is in a radically different position.

Many routers drop wireless connections and have to be manually restarted again daily in order to allow connections again. I don't know if that's what the op meant or if it let's others devices to connect but just not the i4.
Again I don't think it's the i4 but a compatibility issue with the router. You should try doing a software update if possible on the router or try another router. My i4 works fine with all wifis I connected to so far.

tooshaggy

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
SoCal
My wife keeps complaining about our router and wants me to restart it a few times a month. I do it just to make her happy. I know the router is fine because only she is having the problem on her-- ahem-- my MacBook pro. :D

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
Many routers drop wireless connections and have to be manually restarted again daily in order to allow connections again. I don't know if that's what the op meant or if it let's others devices to connect but just not the i4.
Again I don't think it's the i4 but a compatibility issue with the router. You should try doing a software update if possible on the router or try another router. My i4 works fine with all wifis I connected to so far.
"This firmware is the latest version." I'm still waiting to buy my iPhone 4 but pointing out that a 3G is having issues... indicating that there may be problems with the latest iOS updates and certain routers.

psywzrd

macrumors 68030
Feb 6, 2008
What type of encryption are you using on the router? If it's WEP, try WPA2 and see if that works better for you. WPA2 is much more secure anyway.

AK10R

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
Fairbanks, Alaska
I’m new to the wireless and have set up my D-link after I had my 4 since launch. I set it up to WEP and it works great. It also works on my wife’s 4, my kids Wii and TV. I have it password protected but did set it up as WEP.

Good luck….

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.