Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
Hello. I have a first gene iMac g5 at work that does not have wifi. I found a USB wifi adapter on amazon for $15. If I use that, can i share my Internet connection over wifi just like i can with a built in airport card in my macbook pro?

I'd like to be able to use my iPad at work as it would cut down on the paper I use. But i can't get work to buy a wireless router, so my only way is to share my Internet connection. Will it work this way?

Thanks

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
That's so weird, I was just wondering this myself. From the research I've just done it probably won't work. Unless it has drivers for Mac.

If it does work though, I still don't know if it would be able to broadcast Wi-Fi or not. That would probably depend on the device and it's drivers. You might be able to do it with an AirPort Express.

What adapter is it?

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
That would definitely not be able to broadcast WiFi, and neither can the airport card in your MBP. They can only recieve WiFi, and require a wireless router to do so.

upaymeifixit

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2009
That would definitely not be able to broadcast WiFi, and neither can the airport card in your MBP. They can only recieve WiFi, and require a wireless router to do so.

I don't think that's true. Unless you mean something more, in depth, than I think you are wrong. I can plug in ethernet into my MacBook and then broadcast the internet from that ethernet using my wireless card in my MacBook.

SharingPref.prefPane, look it up.

Eric8199

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 27, 2009
I share my connection with my Macbook Pro all the time, so yes you can do it with the built in Airport card on a Mac. Love it when people on here feel they need to post when they don't know what they are talking about. Seems to be awfully common on here anymore, and its really ruining this site.

Anyway, not sure which card it was, I didn't bookmark it. I know I could do it with an Airport Express, but I'm not spending that kind of money to do it. Looking for a cheap solution, otherwise Ill just keep bringing my MacBook Pro to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.