Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

215313-bumper_shipping.jpg

Based on several reports sent to us and posted in our forums, it appears that Apple has begun shipping out free bumpers to a number of iPhone 4 customers. At this time, however, the shipments appear to be limited to UK customers who ordered Apple bumpers, as opposed to third-party case options.

The shipments come despite initial quotes from Apple on the order of 3-5 weeks for bumper shipments.

215744-bumper_refund.jpg

Over the past few days, Apple has also been notifying customers who purchased bumpers via credit card prior to the initiation of the free case program that their accounts have been credited. Meanwhile, customers who previously purchased bumpers via cash, check, or gift card from Apple Retail Stores have until September 30th to return to the point of purchase for a refund, while customers who ordered online using Apple gift cards should automatically receive new gift cards for the purchase amount. Finally, any customer who purchased a bumper through an AT&T retail stores is required to fill out a rebate coupon (PDF) and mail it along with their sales receipt to Apple by September 30th for processing.

Article Link: Apple Begins Shipping Free iPhone 4 Bumpers to UK Customers

fastbridge

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2010
This is crazy, I need a effing case to use my phone properly. I still love the phone though:p

Only apple could pull something like this off

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
There is always, a negative vote. No matter how good the story is.

Yup I've learned this a long time ago. This goes to all websites, even Youtube with their thumbs ups and down. No matter how awesome a video is there will always be someone who decides to vote down for some odd reason. It's the internet and people are huge critics.

sab165

macrumors member
May 15, 2008
Well this is good news for people that have held out on buying a case and are waiting on their freebie from Apple. I just waited for the Otterbox Defender and finally got mine yesterday :D!! It is super awesome!!

johnnymg

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
Isn't the dropped call issue primarily with the US based AT&T service?

cheers
JohnG

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
I'm still wondering why they're giving away bumpers when there "isn't" any problem...

I'm still wondering why people keep interpreting Apple's press conference that way. Show me an exact quote from that event where Steve Jobs says there isn't a problem.

Apple admitted there was a problem but they also, rightly, point out that a) it's being overplayed in the tech media especially when compared to the number of complaints they receive about it, and that b) all phones suffer from the same issue to some degree.

They even pointed out the "problem spot" on the iPhone antenna at the press conference. How do you interpret that as saying there isn't a problem?

freediverdude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2006
I remember Friday night when I was picking out a case, the ship times were increasing before my eyes. 2 of them went from 6-8 weeks to 8-10 weeks during those few minutes. So I quickly ordered the apple bumper which still said 3-5 weeks. My confirmation today said ships Sept. 2nd, so we'll see.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Ships 8/27, delivers on 9/1

Just FYI. Ordered Friday before noon PST. Never experienced a dropped call because of any particular grip, but have hung up inadvertently because of the proximity sensor issue...

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
I remember Friday night when I was picking out a case, the ship times were increasing before my eyes. 2 of them went from 6-8 weeks to 8-10 weeks during those few minutes. So I quickly ordered the apple bumper which still said 3-5 weeks. My confirmation today said ships Sept. 2nd, so we'll see.

my guess probably less number of orders for bumper compared to other cases (which apple did not expect), so they have enough stock to fulfill the orders!

when you take a look at one of the poll on macrumors it is like 25% who chose bumpers and other 75% are other cases

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
call me bad...

Call me bad but a bumper was bought for another family member, they then got another case the bumper went to me. We got a refund for the bumper, but i downloaded the app on both phones and got each one of the third party Cases, Both orders went through,

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'm still wondering why people keep interpreting Apple's press conference that way. Show me an exact quote from that event where Steve Jobs says there isn't a problem.

Apple admitted there was a problem but they also, rightly, point out that a) it's being overplayed in the tech media especially when compared to the number of complaints they receive about it, and that b) all phones suffer from the same issue to some degree.

They even pointed out the "problem spot" on the iPhone antenna at the press conference. How do you interpret that as saying there isn't a problem?

How about the time he said, "There is no reception issue. Stay tuned."* (Or if all smartphones suffer from this, why didn't they do anything similar with the previous three generations?)

I agree that the media are probably overhyping the situation, but things like this make me wonder about Apple's response.

*I know it's not from that event...

Trikki Nikki

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
UK
Isn't the dropped call issue primarily with the US based AT&T service?

cheers
JohnG

It's the phone mate, I can not only reproduce the problem on my handset. But walk into the apple store and do the same on any of the phones in the store on the 4 UK networks it's been released on..!!. So I can't imagine how the combination of this phone and ATT will be making the problem.

Would have returned mine for a refund however in the UK we only get 7 days instead of the 30 in the US. By the time I had realised the extent of the problem it was a little to late. But it's deffo got the worst reception of any phone I've had in about 8 years. Which is a real shame as in every other respect it's a great piece of kit.

If the case doesn't sort it I'm gonna kick up a fuss with Vodafone and get a Blackberry 9105. As a phone with dodgy reception and call quality is no good to me regardless of how great the rest of the handset is :(

Received a email telling me that my bumper has been shipped as of yesterday. So I look forward to seeing if it sorts the problem.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I'm still wondering why they're giving away bumpers when there "isn't" any problem...

Got my phone June 24, ordered my bumper 1 week later received it two weeks ago, got my refund. No complaints. Love the phone. Love the bumper. I rule.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.