Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
I would like to connect my IMAC to my tv. I tried using a home network, but the samsung tv I have does not recognize most of the files, plus the internet apps suck big time.(only netflix is kind of good)

So I was then thinking to get a mac mini and just but ay 1000$ it doe snot solve my needs.

So I am looking for something to wireless stream the video from my imac to the tv.

So it would mini dvi to hdmi - then box with HDMI input to stream to another box with HDMI output connected to my tv.

It would also need to stream the audio.

Is there anyway to just use the network connection and just hack into the tv?

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
WD TV might suit you better and it's a lot cheaper. If you want Mini, sure, buy one but it's quite expensive compared to WD TV

Hi thank you. It looks good, but I would like to transfer the signal output wirelessly to the TV.

So I can still use the imac, but having the tv screen as a monitor.

I do not want to have the imac next to the tv.....(then I could just use cables)

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Hi thank you. It looks good, but I would like to transfer the signal output wirelessly to the TV.

So I can still use the imac, but having the tv screen as a monitor.

I do not want to have the imac next to the tv.....(then I could just use cables)

There are wireless HDMI solutions available but for the same price, you can get WD TV and then stream the content from your Mac's HD to the WD TV and then to the TV

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
There are wireless HDMI solutions available but for the same price, you can get WD TV and then stream the content from your Mac's HD to the WD TV and then to the TV

I would also like to browse the web etc, that is way I would like the wireless monitor better.

It needs to be capable of 1080p output and be compatible with mac.

I would say something like this: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/wireless-hdmi-extender-30ft-1080p.html

but it is too expensive.

I am looking for something in the 100-200 $ range

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I would also like to browse the web etc, that is way I would like the wireless monitor better.

It needs to be capable of 1080p output and be compatible with mac.

I would say something like this: http://www.hdtvsupply.com/wireless-hdmi-extender-30ft-1080p.html

but it is too expensive.

I am looking for something in the 100-200 $ range

I doubt something like that exists within your price range. How far away is the TV? You could just get a long HDMI cable, like this. 15 meters should be enough

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
OP, I'm not quite sure I understand what it is that you want to do? If your iMac is in another room of the house and you want wireless streaming for playback of media then the WDTV, Apple TV, etc. etc. would work for you. The web access on your TV is what confuses me. How would you control (keyboard & mouse) your activity on the television if your iMac is in a completely different room? Most bluetooth mice and keyboards are not strong enough to connect to a device in another room. I'm not sure of the range on the USB wireless transmitter devices, they might give you more distance. I think if you want full computer functionality on your television then a HTPC is your best bet, but as Hellhammer pointed out it is more expensive.

WindowsTraitor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
OP, I'm not quite sure I understand what it is that you want to do? If your iMac is in another room of the house and you want wireless streaming for playback of media then the WDTV, Apple TV, etc. etc. would work for you. The web access on your TV is what confuses me. How would you control (keyboard & mouse) your activity on the television if your iMac is in a completely different room? Most bluetooth mice and keyboards are not strong enough to connect to a device in another room. I'm not sure of the range on the USB wireless transmitter devices, they might give you more distance. I think if you want full computer functionality on your television then a HTPC is your best bet, but as Hellhammer pointed out it is more expensive.

The imac and the tv are in the same room now. Eventually the imac will be in another room. I can control the imac witb the bluthoth mouse and keyboard.

I do not like streaming because i cannot use the imac dvd(stream from dvd)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.