Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJohm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
I've had my first late '06 model MBP 2.16 C2D for almost 4 years now with no hardware issues except for battery wear and tear which is expected. I didn't have Applecare on it and thank God I didn't need it. Now, I've had my mid '10 MBP 2.4 i5 for almost 2 months and I'm considering of buying applecare for since I've been reading hardware issues that I wasn't aware of prior to joining this forum (lots of useful info btw). 2 questions:
1. Is it safe or legit to buy Applecare from e-bay, since their prices are a lot cheaper than going thru Apple. Like I mentioned, I never had applecare so I don't know how to activate or such and I'm worried 'bout apple asking where I purchased it from.
2. Did Apple Products or MBP's reliability changed in the past 4 years, or have they started using lesser quality components for their machines that's more prone to hardware issues? No problems with my 3+ year-old MBP and I just wonder.
Thanks in advance.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
1. eBay AppleCare. General conclusion: Don't buy unless the seller ships the sealed box. L.A. Computer sells AppleCare with a discount and they are legit

2. The quality shouldn't have gone down but there are more MBPs sold resulting more defective units as well. The failure percentage should be similar

Reelknead1

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
1. I have wondered the same
2. It does seem like apples quality has decreased over the years. The PPC were tanks, The intel have brought some issue but overall they are still great computers. The 8600gt wasn't really apples fault that was across the board a bad chip.

DJohm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the link. So just make sure they're sealed box.

danny31292

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2005
I bought my AppleCare on ebay without a box. They just emailed me the code. Since then I've had it fixed at the apple store, sent it away to apple, and brought it to a authorized repair store. No problems at all. Make sure the ebay seller has good feedback and don't worry about getting a box.

paenguin

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
behind Torre Two
1. i got my apple care from ebay without a code. like what was said. just make sure seller has great feedback.
2. it's either quality was lessened to save up on production costs or maybe QA test just not that good, like what happened to 8600gt issues.

DJohm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Thanks for the reassurance guys. I may be buying my applecare after the fall tuitions are taken care of. I thought about taking my chances on not getting apple care for the new MBP, but I guess it would be nice to have the peace of mind if anything fails. I'm also looking into buying insurance for it through my state farm agent for accidental events since I take my MBP to DJ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.