Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095855-ipad_engraving_mockup.jpg

Mockup of engraved iPad
Erictric reports that Apple may be preparing to allow iPad customers to have their devices engraved with a message of their choosing, with the new option possibly set to launch for the holiday shopping season. The tip comes from an anonymous Apple employee, although it is unclear in what capacity the source works at the company.
"From what I understand, Apple's going to be offering customers the option to get their iPads engraved just before the Holidays roll around," noted the source in an email to me, which oddly enough began on the topic of Apple’s recent move to distribute free bumpers and cases for iPhone 4 smartphone customers.

Our source cites that current high demand for the iPad has prevented Apple from offering tablet engraving, fearing slow-downs in production.
Pricing for the rumored iPad engraving is unknown, although it is presumed to be free based on the company's existing iPod engraving program.

095855-ipod_engraving.jpg

Apple initially launched iPod engraving with the original 10 GB iPod in March 2002. Engraving was initially priced at $49, but was made free and extended across the company's expanding iPod line in subsequent years.

Erictric has not typically been a source of Apple rumors, so we have no track record to assess the veracity of its claim. Taken at face value, however, an iPad engraving program would seem to be a reasonable addition for Apple as supply constraints begin to ease.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Offer iPad Engraving?

KindredMAC

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
I hate engraving...

Because I'll love picking up a used iPad in a year or two that says "I will always love you, Rick" in a divorce sale.

DaREdBaRoN

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2009
Illinois
All engraving does is ruin the resale value of your product. Its not like having your name on your iPad will prevent it from getting stolen or anything

ModestForumName

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2010
nothing says cutting edge tech like 64GB iPad 3g like an engraving citing "I love you so much baby - Mom" >=D take H4x0rz seriously people!!! :D

Jerrysalem

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Engraving

Resell my iPod? Bah! I would never sell an old friend. Anyway, buy the time I get around to replacing my iPod, etc, the batteries are usually shot and the device is worthless anyway.

I just hope the engraving is better than the pitiful engraving I had on my iPod Touch. It was totally unreadable after only about a month of wear (of course I could still see the Apple logo and the huge bold iPod moniker, but my name is gone).

Of course Apple never replied to my inquires about the subject :(

imwoblin

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2007
Come out with Rev 2 already! (I know, I know , I'm dreaming). I want to retire my MacBook Pro and just use an iPad on the road. Please just include a measly USB port or two and an isight camera and a way to print and I'll be a happy camper and might even get the thing engraved!

Tenorsaw

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2008
Under most circumstances, once you engrave your product you cannot return it for a refund.

rogXue

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2007
While I hate the Zune I do like one thing about it.

The design engraving looks pretty cool. I was hoping apple would eventually go to this. I hate word personalization... It never looks good and kills resale value.

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
This is simply amazing!
One small step for man, one giant leap for... aw hell, who we kidding here!?
Almost distracted me enough there to forget about the antenna thing.

sockdoggy

macrumors regular
Jan 21, 2002
Brooklyn
Warranty

Doesn't it screw up some aspect of your warranty if you get it engraved? Or maybe it's just that you can't take it back.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Seems like a reasonable prediction. I'm sure it will be free, too--I bet Apple doesn't mind that it decreases demand for resale. :)

Doesn't it screw up some aspect of your warranty if you get it engraved? Or maybe it's just that you can't take it back.

No, it's just that if you get it "repaired" (by which they mean "replaced with a refurbished model"), you'll have to wait a bit longer to get it back since they'll have to re-engrave it. Or at least that's how it was with my iPod years back.

iRance

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
While I hate the Zune I do like one thing about it.

The design engraving looks pretty cool. I was hoping apple would eventually go to this. I hate word personalization... It never looks good and kills resale value.

Me too!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• zune-apple-parody-1.jpg
    zune-apple-parody-1.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 3,667

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Shows Apple's failure to grasp Cloud Computing

Whilst Apple are currently riding high, mainly selling to people who are attracted by the bling & content consumption - NOT specific software solutions, the fact they offer engraving on connected devices proves that they still don't get the concept of transportable information. That is, login to anyones device (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Android device, PC, Windows Mobile 7 device etc etc) and access ALL your content - securely and easily.

The sooner we can switch gadgets (loan, borrow, rent etc), the more convenient life will be. Going out? Slip an iPhone 4 into your pocket. Hitting the coffee shop? Fire up the iPad - and login of course. At the remote hot desk and have some power tasks to do? Hit the iMac keyboard and get productive.

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
I'd say half the reason why Apple offers free engraving is because it's a marketing ploy. It kills the resale value, so you're more likely to buy direct from Apple than a used one.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Whilst Apple are currently riding high, mainly selling to people who are attracted by the bling & content consumption - NOT specific software solutions, the fact they offer engraving on connected devices proves that they still don't get the concept of transportable information. That is, login to anyones device (iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook, MacBook Pro, Android device, PC, Windows Mobile 7 device etc etc) and access ALL your content - securely and easily.

The sooner we can switch gadgets (loan, borrow, rent etc), the more convenient life will be. Going out? Slip an iPhone 4 into your pocket. Hitting the coffee shop? Fire up the iPad - and login of course. At the remote hot desk and have some power tasks to do? Hit the iMac keyboard and get productive.

What does this have to do with engraving?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
All engraving does is ruin the resale value of your product. Its not like having your name on your iPad will prevent it from getting stolen or anything

But it does raise the chance of recovery if it’s LOST, rather than stolen. And it reduces the chance of theft by an acquaintance, like a fellow student in your dorm or something. (Someone who might eye it as a target except they now realize it’s trackable.)

Mainly it’s just for gifts, though, I’m sure. Yes, engraving hurts the resale value of an iPad, a watch, or anything else. People still want it. They always have. No harm in giving them the option.

What does this have to do with engraving?

Nothing. All of those cloud dreams work just fine on an engraved device. Want to check your webmail on your friend’s iPad? The engraving will hardly slow you down at all :)

(What WILL slow you down is when the network is not 100% reliable—which it never is, not even when wired. Then the cloud fails utterly. I like my fast, reliable, local apps and data, with backups in MY hands!)

Dnerris

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2010
Kent, Ohio
Meh...

I think alright, but I usually sell my iPods when the new ones cone out and in this case the iPad so if you plan on selling ur device when the new one comes out don't get it ingraved at least not with your name.

DifferentialApp

macrumors regular
May 14, 2010
I hate engraving...

Because I'll love picking up a used iPad in a year or two that says "I will always love you, Rick" in a divorce sale.

Hahahaha! Exactly!

I generally get a case for my iDevices, so the engraving won't even be seen.

Don't most people get cases?

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Love those example engravings. Here's some more:

"Cost less than a laptop
Now we can go on that Hawaiian vacation - Mom and Dad."

"Good luck at college
You didn't want to be a writer anyway."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.