Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:55 PM   #1
thornton102
macrumors newbie

accidentally deleted Compass app

Hi

I just bought a friend's 2g iPhone (cheap!) and I've loaded several apps, pix and podcasts, but somehow I've deleted the default 'Compass' app (I'm directionally challenged). I have tried restoring several different ways, but nothing I try works. It looks like it's pulling info off of an Apple database on what basic apps I have (and what I've deleted), even though I've told it to set it up as a new phone.

If this is so easy to do accidentally, it's definitely hard to find info on how to fix it!

My wife has a 3GS, and hers has almost the exact same apps, but she still has her Compass. Is there a way to copy hers onto mine?

Thanks!
thornton102 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:57 PM   #2
SheepNutz
macrumors 6502a

The iPhone 2G doesn't have a compass, the 3GS does. That's why you have no compass app, but your wife does. It's as simple as that.
SheepNutz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:59 PM   #3
ukwildcat
macrumors 6502

Is this a serious thread? The 2G iPhones did not come with the compass. The first incarnation of iPhones to come with the compass app was the 3GS.
ukwildcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:05 PM   #4
thornton102
macrumors newbie

It was there when I bought it. I'll ask the original owner how she put it on. I assume it's the default compass app.

Yes, this is a serious thread.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Jay42
macrumors 65816

Even if you somehow manage to put the compass app back on, it won't do you any good....

Sorry to say it...
Jay42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:12 PM   #6
wywern209
macrumors 65832

Even if it came with the app, it is non-functional. the iphone 2g simply doesn't have the hardware to support the app. it lacks the compass in its circuitry so no mater if the app is there or not, it isn't possible to use it. So, don't worry. you're not missing out on anything. You could be confusing the compass app for the safari icon tho. safari is for internet. i don't think you can delete that though. just restore the iphone and it should work again.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:22 PM   #7
thornton102
macrumors newbie

Ahhh...now I see. We bought the two just a few hours apart, so I obviously got confused (well, more than usual).
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:25 PM   #8
iphones4evry1
macrumors 65816

I'm going to let you in on a little secret that was just discovered by mankind a few days ago. This is brand new, so keep it a secret. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. In the winter, the sun is always slightly to the south. In the summer, the sun gets to overhead, but never north. If you are in the southern hemisphere, the sun is toward the north in the winter but is overhead in the summer and never to the south.

(joking aside, I have a compass on my phone but I never use it. I just look at which way the shadows from the trees/buldings/light poles are facing and I know which directions are north/south/east/west. This is something that once you get in the habit of doing, you just do without really thinking about it)
Yes, I know that there are words above that should be capitalized. For the purpose of this post, I just don't care.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting