Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:37 PM   #1
Tobster3
macrumors 6502

UK Prepaid Micro Sim

Hi,

I will be travelling to the UK (Scotland) in the coming weeks and will spend about 3-4 weeks there.

Are there prepaid Micro Sims available in Scotland for the iPad, similar to the Pay as you Go simcards for mobile phones?

Thanks
Tobster3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Zcott
macrumors 68020

Unfortunately not. Your best bet is to pick up an o2 microsim and activate it through the iPad.

//Disregard, the reply below is much better!

Last edited by Zcott; Jul 27, 2010 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Wrong.
Zcott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:34 AM   #3
TheBritishBloke
macrumors 68030

Yes you can get a PrePaid iPad Micro Sim.. They're still Pay As You Go.

Depends who has the best coverage for you, most likely Three or Orange. You can order a 1 month (1GB) microsim from Three UK for 10 one-off. That expires after a month so it's perfect for you. You can pick one up online or at any three store.
TheBritishBloke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:19 PM   #4
myko54
macrumors newbie

UK Prepaid Micro Sim

I am travelling to UK, England, in September with an iPhone4 (from Australia) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to which is the best telco to purchase a pre-paid microsim. I will need data (around 500MB), voice and text for about 2 weeks. I value quality of coverage over price.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 05:29 AM   #5
ACDeag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by myko54 View Post
I am travelling to UK, England, in September with an iPhone4 (from Australia) and was wondering if anyone had recommendations as to which is the best telco to purchase a pre-paid microsim. I will need data (around 500MB), voice and text for about 2 weeks. I value quality of coverage over price.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Three has the most 3G coverage, but depends where you will be, there are gaps in 3G coverage and Three do not offer a 2G backup on their broadband packages where they do not have coverage.
ACDeag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:04 AM   #6
DenniZ
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobster3 View Post
Hi,

I will be travelling to the UK (Scotland) in the coming weeks and will spend about 3-4 weeks there.

Are there prepaid Micro Sims available in Scotland for the iPad, similar to the Pay as you Go simcards for mobile phones?

Thanks
Depends how much data, but sounds like the best situation is to pick up a three pay as you go sim, add 5 credit to it, then activate the data add on, (this being a sim for any pay as you go phone, cut it down, the put it in your iPad, it should work, and you get 'unlimited data' rather than something capped, fair usage does apply but its at 2GB.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:16 AM   #7
ACDeag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenniZ View Post
Depends how much data, but sounds like the best situation is to pick up a three pay as you go sim, add 5 credit to it, then activate the data add on, (this being a sim for any pay as you go phone, cut it down, the put it in your iPad, it should work, and you get 'unlimited data' rather than something capped, fair usage does apply but its at 2GB.
Not unlimited anymore, it is 1GB.

http://www.three.co.uk/Internet_Serv...=1214305768121
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:39 AM   #8
MikeTemple
macrumors member

You don't say where in Scotland you are going, but out of urban areas, 3G coverage can be patchy as the population density is quite low compared to the rest of the UK, and there's lots of hills.

Make sure you check the coverage maps for whoever you use.

Enjoy Scotland, it's very beautiful, and the Edinburgh festival is about to start
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:05 AM   #9
tico24
macrumors 6502

Does this help anyone?
http://paygsimwithdata.wikia.com/wik...with_data_Wiki
tico24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 01:11 AM   #10
ACDeag
macrumors regular

Also worth remembering that only O2 offer the ability to purchase data using the iPad's built in functionality. Most of the other networks you have to make a call.

If you get the Three SIM using the 5 for 1GB of data then your best bet would be to activate your My3 web account by sticking the SIM into a phone first so that you can receive the text message with your first time password.

Also watch out, I recently got a Three SIM to cut down but the actual gold section was so big that I would have actually had to cut into that. It seems not all their sims are the same.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 01:14 AM   #11
myko54
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDeag View Post
Three has the most 3G coverage, but depends where you will be, there are gaps in 3G coverage and Three do not offer a 2G backup on their broadband packages where they do not have coverage.
Thanks so much for replying.
I will be in London, Manchester and Liverpool.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 01:18 AM   #12
ACDeag
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by myko54 View Post
Thanks so much for replying.
I will be in London, Manchester and Liverpool.
Three should be fine then. If you have the postcodes of where you are staying you can check coverage here, remember to chose Mobile Broadband not Mobile Phone.

http://www.three.co.uk/Help_Support/Coverage
Old Feb 26, 2011, 12:25 AM   #13
sac45310
macrumors newbie

Exclamation WARNING - Can't buy micro sim without UK Address

ok so there is tons of info on what to buy and who to buy it from but...

I was just in London September 2010 traveling from the US. Tried to buy from Voda, Orange and Tmobile... I wanted the iPhone micro sim. I was required to have a UK address for a credit check in order to buy the sim. I could get a regular sim on pay as you go (not sure if it works for iphone 3g as I left mine at home in US)

I tried both the iPhone 4 and iPad micro sim. There was NO way they could or would let me buy one.

So if ANYONE knows for a FACT!!! that you can buy one please tell me how. I found a company in the US selling UK tmobile micro sims on ebay. Seems legit but I'm not sure as I liked Orange's wifi coverage.

Does anyone know for sure if the newer pay as you go plans can be purchased by customers WITHOUT a UK address or credit check?
sac45310 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2011, 01:20 AM   #14
Tobster3
macrumors 6502

See my post in this thread.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=922352
Tobster3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad