Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:39 PM   #1
j33buz
macrumors newbie

iPhone 3G turning on,with no sound or screen! Help, please?

Hey guys,

Sorry I am new here, but am in dire straits looking for some help !
(There's a tl;dr at the bottom for those in a rush).

I dropped my iPhone, cracked the screen and LCD, replaced both, as well as the inner plastic piece holding them together. Now, the LCD doesnt turn on, the touch screen will not respond, and the sound isn't working. The backlight wont even turn on !

It is still on, responds when I plug it into USB, it still vibrates and has its files.

And the kicker is that it was working for a few seconds, when I first put everything together, I just took it apart to get the home button to be seated properly, and bam, all of a sudden everything stops working.

Frustrating indeed ! Would anyone be able to help me out please ? I am sick that it seems I will have to buy another part, but, if it will fix it then it's worth it !

tl;dr :Replaced iPhone LCD, glass and central plastic piece. iPhone screen worked for a few minutes, then stopped. Now, screen will not work but phone will respond to USB and when I flick the switch to put it in silent. Can anyone help please ?

Thank you all very much !
j33buz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:40 PM   #2
j33buz
macrumors newbie

Am considering restoring it now, but don't really see this fixing all the problems, unfortunately. Think I will hold off just in case there is an easier solution !

Edit :It appears I cannot restore because I have a passcode on my iPhone when it is locked, and since the touchscreen is broken, I can't unlock it !

Last edited by j33buz; Jul 26, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 07:53 AM   #3
j33buz
macrumors newbie

Been trying to fix this for hours now ! Going crazy !

Edit: Am starting to think the sound may actually be working, it just hasn't had to make noise ! Apologies for the bad title !
Old Jul 28, 2010, 03:16 AM   #4
j33buz
macrumors newbie

Fairly positive this is bricked, unfortunately. Nothing will display at all, no touchscreen response, can't restore...am left with no options !
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:58 AM   #5
j33buz
macrumors newbie

Anyone ?

Still the same, unfortunately
Old Sep 7, 2010, 04:17 PM   #6
phebert27
macrumors newbie

Wink

So it's been a few months since the issue here has been addressed. So for any future folks with this problem, here is what you want to do:

First if you have not done so prior to replacing the damage parts, disconnect the battery as the first thing you'll want to do.

If you have already gone about the business of replacing the part and its now not working like this situation here, then disconnect the battery, make sure all of your connections are good with the part you replaced, then reconnect the battery. Put phone back together. Then hold down pwer and home button at same time untill Apple Logo appears. Plug into itunes and this should fix your problems. I had a problem like this before and this fixed it. Now I know to always disconnect the battery first
phebert27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting