Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

093944-walnut_street_construction.jpg

Walnut Street store under construction (Source: ifoAppleStore)
Apple today announced the grand opening of its new Walnut Street retail store in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The events will begin with a press preview at 4:00 PM on this Friday, July 30th, with the store set to open to the general public at 5:00 PM that day.

While Apple has four existing stores in the Philadelphia area in its Suburban Square and King of Prussia locations in Pennsylvania and Cherry Hill and Sagemore stores in southern New Jersey, the new store will be the first within the city limits of Philadelphia.

Just last weekend, Apple opened new stores in Columbus, Ohio and Lexington, Kentucky.

Article Link: Apple to Open First Retail Store in Philadelphia

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Anyone else see Mac and Charlie wrecking havoc within the Apple Store? :D (Always Sunny reference if you didn't know)

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I've been waiting for a while for this one to open -- the black covering was there for a long long time! I tend to hang out around Rittenhouse Sq. with my girlfriend on weekends, so this will be a fun place to drop in on occasionally.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Is it true that everyone who comes to the Grand Opening gets a free cheesesteak? :) If not, its only a 15-minute walk to Reading Terminal Market.

bigrell486

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
Home
While I live in Philadelphia, I live closer to the Suburban Square store so that will continue to be my main store. Besides why would anyone want to go into the downtown store with no free parking plus 8% sales tax versus the free parking and 6% sales tax you get less than 30 minutes away? The savings through taxes alone is worth the justification of extra gas.

HyperZboy

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2007
Anyone else see Mac and Charlie wrecking havoc within the Apple Store? :D (Always Sunny reference if you didn't know)

Yes, and there will be fights of course when it opens, that's just Philly.
You have to have lived there to understand the culture.

When I saw the Van Halen reunion tour at the Wachovia Center, it was impossible to escape a useless WWE style smackdown fight wherever you turned and I was knocked down without even being in the fight! LOL

The cheesesteak at Pat's was mmmmmmmmm good though. :)

-- Homer Simpson. :D

MacKenners

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
I walked past that location dozens of times. I had no idea that there was an Apple store in the making! :)

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
"Apple to Open First Retail Store in Philadelphia"

Okay. The wording of this headline means one of two things. Either Apple is opening their first retail store ever, or Philadelphia is getting their first retail store ever. :)

"Apple to open their first Philadelphia retail store"

thats better.

severe

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2007
Yes, and there will be fights of course when it opens, that's just Philly.
You have to have lived there to understand the culture.

When I saw the Van Halen reunion tour at the Wachovia Center...

Because Apple customers and Van Halen fans are like one and the same. Ain't Talkin' 'bout Antenna Issues? ;)

SouthPhillyPT

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2008
Good for the city of Philadelphia

Finally another great establishment along Walnut Street. We need more stores like this! Excited to visit when it opens. Free Apple t-shirts on opening day? :apple: See you there!

quinney

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2007
When they have a new product release, instead of the Apple employees giving a standing ovation to the customers, they are going to give a hearty round of boos.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Pittsburgh has an Apple store on Walnut street. Now Philly does as well. This could become confusing for some of the more unbright population.

Tee1970

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
While I live in Philadelphia, I live closer to the Suburban Square store so that will continue to be my main store. Besides why would anyone want to go into the downtown store with no free parking plus 8% sales tax versus the free parking and 6% sales tax you get less than 30 minutes away? The savings through taxes alone is worth the justification of extra gas.

They may want to go to the store in town to get Apple Care service or take classes! Or try out products before they order them online and have them shipped to their house/apartment? Or maybe they live in the city and don't have a car and would rather not lug a monitor via the SEPTA train etc?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.