Nrwrit3r is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:41 AM   #4
iluvifone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrwrit3r View Post
What?? Really??
yea lol wtf..

im trying to decide between the 16 and 32 gb versions..

also, do all videos recorded with the native iphone cam app record .mov files only, or is there an option for mpg/avi/ etc??
iluvifone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:19 AM   #5
extraextra
macrumors 68000

If you plan on recording a lot of HD video I would get a 32GB.
extraextra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:30 AM   #6
iluvifone
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by extraextra View Post
If you plan on recording a lot of HD video I would get a 32GB.
i dont plan on recording 'a lot'. max like 1hour while on vacations, etc and i would be able to transfer it onto my pc. how much space would that take approx
iluvifone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:32 AM   #7
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrwrit3r View Post
What?? Really??
Yeah, really. I have some 720p movies that are about 4 minutes long and take up about 350MB or so, each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvifone View Post
i dont plan on recording 'a lot'. max like 1hour while on vacations, etc and i would be able to transfer it onto my pc. how much space would that take approx
An hour would take over 4GB, almost 5. Yes, really.

Think about it: a low-quality DVD can record 2 hours of standard definition 480i video, and nothing else, and it'll take 4.7GB and look semi-passable.

But with the iPhone, this is 720p HD video you're recording. The iPhone is actually doing a better job at compression and delivering higher-quality video.

This is why movies are currently being compressed and downsampled before being uploaded to YouTube.

And this is why AT&T eliminating unlimited data plans for new users is good for them and bad for us, and their logic is false. Yeah, iPhone 3GS and previous users mostly used under 250MB of data monthly. Those stats mean nothing when you add 720p video and 5MP photos to the mix.

One thing you could do is, when you get home, use a tool like Handbrake to further compress the video to make it smaller. Your iPhone does a good job at compressing video, but it has to balance compression with battery life and CPU load. If you do it right on your home computer, you can get somewhat better results - maybe shave another 20-30% off the file size without too much of an impact on video quality, and even more if you're fine with the quality suffering or using a lower resolution. But until then it's gonna take up a lot of space on your iPhone.

Last edited by scaredpoet; Jul 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM.
scaredpoet is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:16 AM   #8
extraextra
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvifone View Post
One hour IS a lot. It uses about 4GB per hour. So, if you feel that with 16GB you can always have around 5GB available then get the 16GB. But if you plan on keeping lots of music, movies, pictures, videos, apps, etc. you should get the 32GB.
extraextra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:38 PM   #9
OMGitsShan
macrumors regular

if you are even considering HD recording then 32GB is a must. Trust me, you can never have enough space, but you will always run out of space!

I would only suggest the 16GB model if you dont plan to record HD video, because once you put music/tv shows/movies/pictures etc - it all adds up quickly.

Baffles me why Apple didn't bring out a 64GB version - especially with HD recording. Even if they charged another $150 on top of the 32GB price, I would buy it and so would everybody else - since you cant even get a phone these days.
OMGitsShan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone