Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:06 AM   #1
siam
macrumors regular

Can an AirPort Express Do This ?

My neighbour has been trying out my 24 inch iMac and now wants to get a Mac of his own, he's been to the local Apple reseller and likes the small form look of the new Mac mini , one think he likes about my iMac is the ability to share its internet connection with other computers via its built in AirPort Extreme .

So he wanted to know if he buy's a new Mac mini what's the best way he could then share the new Mac mini's internet connection with other computers via Wi-Fi in his house .( his internet connection is the same as mine - CDMA USB Modem )

So we have looked at the AirPort Express ( 802.11n ) and from what we can see it looks like you have to use an Ethernet wired internet connection to feed the unit, on my iMac all I do is plug in my CDMA USB modem and then the iMac's AirPort Extreme broadcasts the Wi-Fi to my other Wi-Fi enabled computers .

We cannot see how you can use a USB modem with the AirPort Express unit

Are we missing some thing ?

My neighbour really wants to buy an Apple Product to enable him to share his internet connection connection from a new Mac mini via Wi-Fi to his other computer .

any comments or advice would be most welcome

Thanks
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Heath
macrumors regular

Unless I've misunderstood something, I'm pretty sure you shouldn't need to buy anything to do this. The Mac Mini has the ability to share its network connection just like the iMac.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.h...5/en/8156.html
Heath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:33 PM   #3
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
Just go into Preferences> Sharing> Click on Share Internet. Boom.
juanm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:32 AM   #4
talmy
macrumors 68040

Word of warning (doing this with any Mac) -- the built-in Wifi sharing uses the insecure WEP rather than WPA2, so shouldn't be left running for any length of time if you suspect your connection might be hijacked.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 09:36 AM   #5
siam
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by talmy View Post
Word of warning (doing this with any Mac) -- the built-in Wifi sharing uses the insecure WEP rather than WPA2, so shouldn't be left running for any length of time if you suspect your connection might be hijacked.
Thanks for that ... Good point

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking