Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 17, 2004, 01:29 PM   #1
bankshot
macrumors 65816

Airport Express blinking, but works!

I finally got my home theater system last week, and last night I completed it with an Airport Express, purchased solely for the purpose of streaming music. I got the AE all setup and then installed the new firmware. Turns out it was a very timely update, since one of the new features is the ability to turn off wireless and use ethernet only for music streaming. Perfect for me, since I wired a couple ethernet jacks to the family room for this purpose. Good job, Apple!

So I have it configured with wireless totally off, static IP/router on my internal network. Everything works great. Streaming music is awesome, especially with the digital optical connection to my receiver (for anyone who wants to do this, don't buy the overpriced connection kit from Apple - save yourself $30 and get a cable from Radio Shack, works great). My music never sounded so good!

But here's the weird part. The light on the Airport Express continually blinks amber. According to Apple , this means:

Quote:
Startup is complete, but AirPort Express didn't get an IP connection. Depending on your setup, it may mean AirPort Express is out of network range, unplugged from Ethernet, lacks a path to the Internet (or local router), or that there's an issue with your Internet service provider.
But it did get an IP connection, it has a path to the router (not that it needs one, since it's for internal use only), ethernet is plugged in... Just a bug in the new firmware? Any ideas?

Of course I don't really care as long as it keeps on working. Just weird. So far so good with the tunes, knock on wood!
bankshot is offline   0
Old Nov 17, 2004, 01:37 PM   #2
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
You only get a green solid light if the AirPort Express is dishing out IP addresses (and the internet) to wireless computers. My AEx is used for creating a wireless network and AirTunes/printer sharing. My internet is shared from a wired computer sending it out wirelessly and I have nothing connected to the ethernet on my AEx, hence the blinking flashing orange light. You're not sending the internet out on yours, hence the blinking orange for you.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers