Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

18thTomorrow

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
The Alpha Quadrant
I have a new RAM chip that I just installed, however, my system is not recognizing it. It's an iBook G4 with 256mb built-in, and I just put a 128mb in the so-dimm slot. I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong. (I'm positive this is the right chip; it came from crucial.com) Your suggestions and help are much appreciated.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
First, take the memory back out then put it back in. If that doesn't work, try resetting PRAM. If you've never done that before, here's how to do it:

- Restart the computer
- As soon as you hear the startup sound, press and hold Cmd-Opt-P-R
- Release the keys when you hear the sound again

If that doesn't work, try this:

- Restart
- Hold Cmd-Opt-O-F at the startup sound
- Release them when you get a screen full of text
- Type these commands:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

This may wipe some settings, but you won't lose any documents or applications.

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
What Nermal said pretty much sums up what you should start with, although before playing with too many other things, inspect the chip itself for visual defects or other issues. Make sure the contacts of the chip are clean and that there isn't anything that would be preventing good contact between the ram stick and the board. I know it sounds funny, but I have heard this more than one would expect from PC buddies...so check it out.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
The usual problem with iBook ram is that it isn't fully inserted. Push the DIMM into the slot, at a 30 degree angle, firmly, until it clicks. This shouldn't be a faint click, but a distinct one. Then, lower it until it clicks past the tabs. This should solve it. If the ram still doesn't work at this point, it is likely defective.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.