Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Just bought a replacement keyboard, one of the current generation wired keyboards with number pad. Opened the box to find a nice USB extension cable, which I won't need for the keyboard but could come in handy for flash drives on my Mac mini...

WAIT, WTF, why is there a bent prong sticking up preventing me from using the cable with ANY OTHER device besides the USB keyboard. Apple, you guys are really pricks sometimes. What an intentional waste of a perfectly good cable.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They've had this bump for a long time. I've been caught by it as well. I just smash it out and use it as I please.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It's a $5 cable, so what's the big deal? Just buy one that suits your needs.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
It's a $5 cable, so what's the big deal? Just buy one that suits your needs.

it is a waste though, by really only making it work with one thing rather than any USB devices. not very environmentally friendly and incredibly stupid on Apple's part.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
it is a waste though, by really only making it work with one thing rather than any USB devices. not very environmentally friendly and incredibly stupid on Apple's part.

You're right. They shouldn't have included it at all and charged extra for those who want it.

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
The cable works with any USB plug. You just need to know how to plug things in. Put the male end in first at an angle underneath the little notch and then push the rest in straightening it out. It will be tight but it won't hurt anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.