Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Awimoway

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2002
California
I had just found the site from another source, and I am using such a build, though I had to guess whether I had an older G4 or a newer one (my Mac is an MDD PowerMac). It seems stable enough. I'm not sure if it's any faster though.

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
There is a way to tell what processor you have from a simple terminal command. Unfortunatly I do not know it, but maybe someone else does.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
KyleC said:
i have a 1ghz ibook that is 2 months old, so i would assume i woud use the build for PowerPC 7450 ???

I looked this up (see the other thread on this same topic for more information :p)...all the iBook G4s are 7450 era processors.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
It's very easy. Basically, any G4 running at 533 Mhz or less is a 7400 or 7410 (i.e. the "old G4"). Any G4 running at 550 Mhz or greater is a 745x (i.e. the "new G4"). This applies to all PowerMacs, Powerbooks, iMacs, iBooks, etc. I don't know if it necessarily applies to processor upgrade cards (but those are few and far between).

zen_state

macrumors member
been using it for a couple hours now and the only thing that seems faster (and its only a tad faster at that) is scrolling speed or general rendering. if you like to get every bit of extra speed you can get your hands on then go for it. only geeks like me will notice any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.