Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro

Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:37 AM   #1
MC1220
macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro sleep indicator light

I went to my local store today because I didn't think my computer was sleeping when the lid was open. The Genius told me that when the lid is open and the computer goes to sleep, the sleep indicator light is solid, not pulsing. Is this correct?

I also thought that when the computer is sleeping with the lid open, it will only wake on a trackpad click or pressing a key, but the Genius told me that it will also wake from movement on the trackpad (not clicking, just swiping my fingers across). Is this true? I still suspect that my computer wasn't actually sleeping, even though he told me that it was.
MC1220 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:50 AM   #2
wordoflife
macrumors 604

No, I think that if the screen turns off ("display sleep" in the settings pane) then the light is solid. Basically the computer is on, the screen is off.

If its sleeping regardless open/close, it pulses.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:54 AM   #3
MC1220
macrumors newbie

That's what I thought... I'm a new Mac user though so I didn't want to argue with the "Genius." I guess I'll just download PleaseSleep so that my MBP will sleep with the lid open. Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2010, 12:21 PM   #4
RedRaven571
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1220 View Post
That's what I thought... I'm a new Mac user though so I didn't want to argue with the "Genius." I guess I'll just download PleaseSleep so that my MBP will sleep with the lid open. Thanks!
Don't know what PleaseSleep is, but, if you set the power parameters to sleep after X minutes of inactivity, it will sleep with the lid open.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:03 PM   #5
MC1220
macrumors newbie

Thanks RedRaven. Unfortunately, the reason I visited the Genius Bar in the first place because my MBP isn't sleeping with the lid open despite the Energy Saver settings.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:09 PM   #6
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Well, you can either go into the apple menu and select "sleep" or go back to the genius bad and tell the dude that it doesn't sleep. ever. when the lid is open.
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:12 PM   #7
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
No. When the computer is sleeping, the light will pulse. Regardless if you chose sleep from the menu, or close the lid, when the computer is really asleep, the light gently pulses. If the display is off, but the light is solidly lit, then the display is sleeping, and swiping on the trackpad will wake it up. When the Mac is actualy sleeping (pulsing light) you can wake it up by opening the lid (if it was closed) pressing any key on the keyboard, clicking the mouse (swiping or touching will not wake it up), or pressing the power button.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Vantage Point
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1220 View Post
Thanks RedRaven. Unfortunately, the reason I visited the Genius Bar in the first place because my MBP isn't sleeping with the lid open despite the Energy Saver settings.
Go to the Energy Saver options and make sure that "Wake for network access" is NOT checked and "Put the hard drive to sleep when possible" is checked. (and of course that Computer Sleep and Display Sleep are set at a short time interval like 5-15 minutes or at least not set to 'Never')
Old Jul 28, 2010, 01:24 PM   #9
rockstarjoe
macrumors 6502a

I think this is actually a pretty common problem with the 2010 Macbook Pros... at least mine has this problem too. It will not sleep with the lid open. The display sleeps, but the computer stays awake, even if I have set it to go to sleep after 1 minute, for example.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro