Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
The personal details of more than 100 million Facebook users have been harvested and published on the net.

Ron Bowles, an online security consultant, used a simple piece of code to collect the data from Facebook.

The list, which has been shared as a downloadable file, contains the URL of every searchable Facebook user's profile, their name and unique ID.

In a web post, Mr Bowles said he published the information to highlight privacy issues.

The file has spread rapidly across the net.

On the Pirate Bay, the world's biggest file-sharing website, the list was being distributed and downloaded by more than 1,000 users.

One user, going by the name of lusifer69, described the list as "awesome and a little terrifying".

In a statement to BBC News, Facebook said that the information in the list was already freely available online.
Link…
Storm in a teacup or a reall s**t storm?

May 8, 2008
From my understanding from the Engadget article, the only information available to persons who download it is the same information any of ones friends could easily see; email, phone numbers, etc...

Not that big a deal.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
So.... public data was ... made public?

Where's the story? The fact that someone collected it into a nice tidy file?
The story is the fact that it is public to begin with. Facebook should not be selling data at all.

From my understanding from the Engadget article, the only information available to persons who download it is the same information any of ones friends could easily see; email, phone numbers, etc...

Not that big a deal.
So you have 100 million friends that you share your data with?

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
The story is the fact that it is public to begin with. Facebook should not be selling data at all.

From what I read in the article, it was just a collection of usernames and user IDs, and real names, all of which are generally part of having a Facebook account to begin with. YouTube, Twitter, they also have usernames, userIDs, and often real names linked to the accounts, too...

I could even do the same with MacRumors.

Username: MacNut, account ID, 3249, location, CT.

Have I breached your privacy?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
From what I read in the article, it was just a collection of usernames and user IDs, and real names, all of which are generally part of having a Facebook account to begin with. YouTube, Twitter, they also have usernames, userIDs, and often real names linked to the accounts, too...

I could even do the same with MacRumors.

Username: MacNut, account ID, 3249, location, CT.

Have I breached your privacy?
If you publish my email address yes, I can choose not to publish my email.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
If you publish my email address yes, I can choose not to publish my email.

If you have an e-mail and use it it's already out there man the only privacy you have is when you switch off the computer. Believe it or not junk mail existed before the internet did some people just get more offended and take it more personally receiving an email than they did getting some random coupon book in the real mail.

Guess what, I have the information on 300million real world addresses in the US and numbers all of them are legal to publish--it's called a phone book.

You really want privacy? then close your blinds--you can be anything you want here.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Sue facebook then and see how far any of you get. If you somehow win then sue the yellow pages because if you manged to win you have set a legal president. cool I think I have some new fodder for next weeks comic strip :D

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
Maybe I can get some new Farmville neighbors out of this. ;)

LOL! I eliminated a few of my former Facebook connections after they started spewing those Farmville updates.

Why is it that we see so much negative information in regards to Facebook? I don't recall anything similar related to MySpace, LinkedIn, Plaxo, etc. Is it just a really lousy management?

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I am on the verge of leaving, and have been for a long time ever since I heard Leo Laporte talking about it. I think I might leave now because of this. It's a waste of time, and all of my 'friends' just waste time liking stupid phrases and groups for no apparent reason. And all Facebook wants is your details anyway. I wish I'd never joined to start with :(

Why is it that we see so much negative information in regards to Facebook? I don't recall anything similar related to MySpace, LinkedIn, Plaxo, etc. Is it just a really lousy management?

It might be, or it could just be that the media are on their backs because of the info leaks in the past. Also, Facebook has the most users, so it's bound to attract more attention.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
LOL! I eliminated a few of my former Facebook connections after they started spewing those Farmville updates.

Tagged was accused of problems with privacy issues a few months back but seems the short attention span of the web community has swept that one away--Tagged is still around. Myspace had similar issues years back--Myspace is still around. Classmates.com has also gotten complaints about privacy issues now among other things. Yearbook caught a little as well. This whole Facebook issue is not unique and will likely be forgotten in a few months too. The ADHD riddled digital masses will forget once again and move on to another one to complain about.

No one joins a "social network" for privacy so complaining about what you publish being read by complete strangers is not a privacy matter.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I have all that info for strangers to see. I don't allow much to be viewed, but that information is there.

This reminds me of the time when people complained that Google Maps invaded privacy because people can see their house. Next, people complained about Street View, but I didn't understand the reason for it. If I drove past your house, I could see it. It would still be an anonymous house to me, but yes, I could see it from the front.

FaceBook is as anonymous as has ever been to me. People can see the basic part of my profile if they wanted to find me, or while perusing random profiles on FaceBook. It just happens to be in a text file right now instead of a website. No big deal.

zblaxberg

Jan 22, 2007
The file only has information that users make available. It's your own darn fault if you didn't set your privacy settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.