Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:11 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Windows dominance to last "two to four years"

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Windows dominance to last \"two to four years\"
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:57 PM   #2
AmigoMac
macrumors 68020

Forget it, it will last a long time before we can see a huge difference, my guess: the cake will be mostly for Linux/Apple/*-nix, of course apple will lead in USA and in a big part of Europe... but at that time we will be speculating about the PB G10...
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:35 PM   #3
Jimmni
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to Jimmni
I really, really hope OS X never passes 10% market share.
Jimmni is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:38 PM   #4
Josh
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmni
Why's that? Wouldn't that be a good thing?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:38 PM   #5
afields
macrumors 6502

Quote:
whaaaaaa?!?
afields is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:45 PM   #6
ajkst1
macrumors member

I doubt this seriously. It would be lovely to see this happen, but it's not going to happen. Until we start to see Fortune 100 companies switching to Linux/OS X/others, it's just going not to have any effect on the market. Students learn Windows because "that's what businesses use." I'd love to see other businesses pick up OS X or Linux, but then the "Macs don't have viruses" excuse goes out the window because then it becomes a targeted OS. OS X has a lot of vulnerablities that just aren't exploited because no one targets it.

I have a Powerbook and I love it to death. I love that I don't have spyware or viruses. I would love to see everyone run OS X. But at the same time, I know that if OS X controlled 95% of the market and Windows only had 3% that OS X would be slammed with viruses. Hackers target what's going to make them notorious. Look at the past few "major" viruses. Blaster, Sasser, etc. didn't do any "physical" damage per say, but caused a very large network problem. They infected the machine, e-mailed itself to other machines, and repeated the cycle. It didn't erase hard drives because it knows that's the end of the line. They caused a boatload of network traffic and clogged networks everywhere. Mac users were immune to the virus itself, but weren't immune to the traffic thrown around a network as a side effect of the virus.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:50 PM   #7
Fender2112
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Fender2112
Quote:
This is kind of how I've felt for a long time. Alot of folks gripe about Apple's market share being so low. Have these folks ever stopped to think that maybe Apple does NOT want a huge market share? Apple seems to be doing very well. They make a nice profit. They have a huge cash reserve. Stocks are trading quite nicely. You don't have to be the biggest to be the best.

As long as Apple makes at least one computer that I can afford, I don't care what their market share is. There will always be a few of us that don't do Windows.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:51 PM   #8
Trowaman
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Trowaman
Quote:
30-35%, I'd understand, but 10% is pretty, low. I don't think Apple could keep up with a 50% or greater marketshare. Besides, if they became the front runner, innovation has a good chance of slowing down within the company.

Again, this is just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Trowaman is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 02:54 PM   #9
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkst1
I doubt this seriously. It would be lovely to see this happen, but it's not going to happen. Until we start to see Fortune 100 companies switching to Linux/OS X/others, it's just going not to have any effect on the market. Students learn Windows because "that's what businesses use." I'd love to see other businesses pick up OS X or Linux, but then the "Macs don't have viruses" excuse goes out the window because then it becomes a targeted OS. OS X has a lot of vulnerablities that just aren't exploited because no one targets it.

I have a Powerbook and I love it to death. I love that I don't have spyware or viruses. I would love to see everyone run OS X. But at the same time, I know that if OS X controlled 95% of the market and Windows only had 3% that OS X would be slammed with viruses. Hackers target what's going to make them notorious. Look at the past few "major" viruses. Blaster, Sasser, etc. didn't do any "physical" damage per say, but caused a very large network problem. They infected the machine, e-mailed itself to other machines, and repeated the cycle. It didn't erase hard drives because it knows that's the end of the line. They caused a boatload of network traffic and clogged networks everywhere. Mac users were immune to the virus itself, but weren't immune to the traffic thrown around a network as a side effect of the virus.
Sure, if that were the case Mac OS X would be slammed. However, the virus damage potential would be limited to areas the current user has write access to (home directory only if ordinary user; home directory + several other directories if administrator). The critical system files would be pretty much immune unless the virus somehow got root access.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:06 PM   #10
Timelessblur
Banned

think about it they way. if apple is having massisive supply problems at 10% market share I dont think they can handle much more.
Timelessblur is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:16 PM   #11
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelessblur
think about it they way. if apple is having massisive supply problems at 10% market share I dont think they can handle much more.
Actually, Apple's already having significant supply trouble at their current 1.5% (approx.) market share (keep in mind that this figure is different from installed base, estimated at 12-15% in the USA and around 9% worldwide). I don't think Apple's supply problems will suddenly improve if their market share were to double (or triple, quadruple, whatever).
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:19 PM   #12
Timelessblur
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
Actually, Apple's already having significant supply trouble at their current 1.5% (approx.) market share (keep in mind that this figure is different from installed base, estimated at 12-15% in the USA and around 9% worldwide). I don't think Apple's supply problems will suddenly improve if their market share were to double (or triple, quadruple, whatever).
That was basicly my point. If apple get more market share they will only have more problems getting stuff to its costermers. As of right now apple is getting away with it rather poor shipping ect due to small market share and diehard fans. increase the number of computers they need to ship the problems will increase even more so and increase greatly. You can not ship what you do not have. Only this time the media will not be so forgiving and the public will not be very forgiving either
Timelessblur is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 03:32 PM   #13
zelmo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrldwzrd89
I have no idea if the percentages you quote are correct, but the sentiment is spot on. If they get too big, innovation (what they really do best, IMHO) slows to a trickle as they learn to keep up with manufacturing demands.
That being said, I would love to see Apple double their market share, but remain a relative niche player. An increased share would encourage s/w developers to keep plugging away with Mac products in the face of the dominant Windoze platform and the growing Linux market.
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:11 PM   #14
macridah
macrumors 6502a

I hope within the next 2-4 years, apple will double it's market share or even better, have a double digit market share.
macridah is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:13 PM   #15
nagromme
macrumors G5

2 to 4 years? I predict Windows will dominate for at least 5 years at the unlikely MINIMUM, and probably closer to 10 years. I DO think Windows will be clearly faltering in the market well before 5 years... but it's got a LONG way to fall before it's not the most-used OS anymore.

Linux and Mac will both benefit--and once people think of trying Linux over Windows, sometimes a little "Mac = UNIX" lightbulb will go off too.
I predict Linux and Mac will both continue to gain foothold in some corporate uses--with Linux having a big head start. But on the home desktop, I predict Mac will make huge leaps and Linux will only make small progress against Windows.

How about more-or-less equal thirds of the overall market? That sounds like healthy competition--nobody's got close to even half the market. In 2012:

1/3 Longorn II--nothing like we've ever seen because MS will be forced to make sweeping changes that will alienate many but actually make a decent OS.

1/3 Linux with a nicely evolved GUI and lots of apps.

1/3 Mac OS XX, so far beyond the other two it's not even funny but not putting them out of existence by any means.

Or it could be 40%, 35%, 25%, whatever... still good competition and no monopoly outside of certain fields.
nagromme is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 05:55 PM   #16
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme
2 to 4 years? I predict Windows will dominate for at least 5 years at the unlikely MINIMUM, and probably closer to 10 years. I DO think Windows will be clearly faltering in the market well before 5 years... but it's got a LONG way to fall before it's not the most-used OS anymore.

Linux and Mac will both benefit--and once people think of trying Linux over Windows, sometimes a little "Mac = UNIX" lightbulb will go off too.
I predict Linux and Mac will both continue to gain foothold in some corporate uses--with Linux having a big head start. But on the home desktop, I predict Mac will make huge leaps and Linux will only make small progress against Windows.

How about more-or-less equal thirds of the overall market? That sounds like healthy competition--nobody's got close to even half the market. In 2012:

1/3 Longorn II--nothing like we've ever seen because MS will be forced to make sweeping changes that will alienate many but actually make a decent OS.

1/3 Linux with a nicely evolved GUI and lots of apps.

1/3 Mac OS XX, so far beyond the other two it's not even funny but not putting them out of existence by any means.

Or it could be 40%, 35%, 25%, whatever... still good competition and no monopoly outside of certain fields.
I would LOVE to see a perfect 1:1:1 split for marketshare between the Big Three (Windows, Mac OS X. Linux), with the remainder going to various UNIX derivatives and other OSes not covered (BeOS, for example).
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:33 PM   #17
tpatricks
macrumors member

Forgettaboutit...

Sad article, frankly. No concept of how business operates, how people's habits become ingrained, how change takes place.

First, what's "dominate" mean? Mind share or market share? Or something else? If it's a simple majority of installs, say 51%, then Windows is likely to "dominate" for a decade or two-- unless there's such a great alternative that the pain of switching is "substantially" less than the pain of staying.

Second, what's required to make a switch? Sadly, there's still probably not enough pain with Windows to make corporations, IT groups, and people who don't know any better (and can't imagine how good we have it on the Mac side) make a switch from the dark side.

Windows will continue to dominate for many years to come. It'll be the favored target of hackers, the preferred target of malware writers, and the talk around the water cooler which strangely seems to bond many Windows users.

Will Mac and Linux alternatives continue to make inroads? Yes. Steady and sure progress, then assuming continued progress with Mac and Linux vs. Windows problems, perhaps even larger, ever growing chunks of market share. But it'll take many, many years for that to happen; for Windows to fall off the money wagon.

Look at the desperate defense Microsoft is putting up now, though market share has only nudged downwards-- price cutting on Office and Windows to governments and large corporations to prevent their Linux seeding programs. Implied threats from MS to governments and corporations that Linux may be the target of patent/copyright lawsuits. FUD is the strategy of choice emanating from Redmond, as always.

Microsoft (execs) sold their souls to the Devil to become #1, rich, powerful. As soon as they're toppled, they'll be taken away to Hell so they'll do everything in their power again (illegally, FUD, lies, et al) to keep from being dethroned.

Interestingly, it's their very soul (or lack of) that will probably destroy them. Microsoft is so huge and complex, Windows so utterly complex that no one knows what's really going on in the bowels of that code. Already Windows is crumbling and weakened. Those of us who watch closely can see it. Longhorn will take forever to hit the streets and it'll more resemble SP2 than a groundbreaking, powerful, and secure OS.

Maybe the "groundbreaking" of Longhorn will be what occurs to the ground just after the funeral and before the casket is dropped into Hades.

The caged rats still live on a sinking ship but they'll eat anyone or anything alive before dying themselves. If Apple were much of a threat to the MS money stream, they could easily afford to buy Cuptertino in a heartbeat. Linux can't be bought but it probably could be litigated to death.

I'd prefer Apple/Linux (worthy alternatives) to grow steadily while Microsoft simply decays and crumbles-- and the current leadership (Gates and Ballmer) decides to hang it up and head to the pasture.

Fun thoughts, huh?
The Babes of Mac360 - Bambi & Tera's Talk Palace.
tpatricks is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:54 PM   #18
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpatricks
Sad article, frankly. No concept of how business operates, how people's habits become ingrained, how change takes place.

First, what's "dominate" mean? Mind share or market share? Or something else? If it's a simple majority of installs, say 51%, then Windows is likely to "dominate" for a decade or two-- unless there's such a great alternative that the pain of switching is "substantially" less than the pain of staying.

Second, what's required to make a switch? Sadly, there's still probably not enough pain with Windows to make corporations, IT groups, and people who don't know any better (and can't imagine how good we have it on the Mac side) make a switch from the dark side.

Windows will continue to dominate for many years to come. It'll be the favored target of hackers, the preferred target of malware writers, and the talk around the water cooler which strangely seems to bond many Windows users.

Will Mac and Linux alternatives continue to make inroads? Yes. Steady and sure progress, then assuming continued progress with Mac and Linux vs. Windows problems, perhaps even larger, ever growing chunks of market share. But it'll take many, many years for that to happen; for Windows to fall off the money wagon.

Look at the desperate defense Microsoft is putting up now, though market share has only nudged downwards-- price cutting on Office and Windows to governments and large corporations to prevent their Linux seeding programs. Implied threats from MS to governments and corporations that Linux may be the target of patent/copyright lawsuits. FUD is the strategy of choice emanating from Redmond, as always.

Microsoft (execs) sold their souls to the Devil to become #1, rich, powerful. As soon as they're toppled, they'll be taken away to Hell so they'll do everything in their power again (illegally, FUD, lies, et al) to keep from being dethroned.

Interestingly, it's their very soul (or lack of) that will probably destroy them. Microsoft is so huge and complex, Windows so utterly complex that no one knows what's really going on in the bowels of that code. Already Windows is crumbling and weakened. Those of us who watch closely can see it. Longhorn will take forever to hit the streets and it'll more resemble SP2 than a groundbreaking, powerful, and secure OS.

Maybe the "groundbreaking" of Longhorn will be what occurs to the ground just after the funeral and before the casket is dropped into Hades.

The caged rats still live on a sinking ship but they'll eat anyone or anything alive before dying themselves. If Apple were much of a threat to the MS money stream, they could easily afford to buy Cuptertino in a heartbeat. Linux can't be bought but it probably could be litigated to death.

I'd prefer Apple/Linux (worthy alternatives) to grow steadily while Microsoft simply decays and crumbles-- and the current leadership (Gates and Ballmer) decides to hang it up and head to the pasture.

Fun thoughts, huh?
Well I'm impressed. Great post tpatricks! This explains why Microsoft can't get Longhorn out the door when they want it out, while Apple has no such trouble - in fact, rumor has it that Tiger may arrive earlier than expected. How's that for a 180 degree turn?
Old Nov 18, 2004, 06:56 PM   #19
Chobit
macrumors member

I agree, windows will dominate for more than the article thinks. I don't really mind though, as long as Apple keeps churning out great products, and keeps getting industry support (some more would be nice) I'll be happy. It'd be great if apple's market share (based on sales) would jump to 5-10%, but its not absolutely necessary.

-Chobit!
Chobit is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2004, 08:01 PM   #20
kiwi-in-uk
macrumors 6502a

Don't forget that Microsoft has been busily diversifying - acquiring mid range ERPs (Great Plains, Axapta) and others.

In parallel they have launched the Windows Multimedia Centre.

Regardless of the merits (or otherwise) of these huge current and potential installed bases, and even without ANY revisions to Windows, they will dominate PC and server OS market share for many years - some say five; my guess is ten to fifteen.

Microsoft built market share and power during the 90s by gaining control of the corporate desktop. They are now doing the same with business management systems.

At the end of the day it will matter little to MS whether the underlying OS is Windows, Unix, Linux, or OS-X. They will continue to derive most of their income from sources other than OS licences. So Windows vs Linux / OS-X etc is an amusing sideshow for them.

Last edited by kiwi-in-uk; Nov 18, 2004 at 08:03 PM.
kiwi-in-uk is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:43 AM   #21
SilvorX
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to SilvorX Send a message via AIM to SilvorX
as sad to say, linux will surpass mac os x... many people don't realize how good OS X is, they probably either had experience with OS 9- or never used a mac in their life and feel that linux is the best choice... since it's free (for most distros), i'dd love to see Mac OS really take off again, but I just don't see it happening.. I can dream though, but it'll never happen, i know MORE people who use linux than mac os (of any form). I know linux junkies who purchased macs and basically never looked back.. but also know linux junkies who diss Mac OS X like crazy
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:52 AM   #22
bousozoku
Moderator emeritus

Sure, I can see that happening, to a certain extent. However, just as the mainframes have survived, so I see Microsoft Windows. Eventually, it would only be a niche market, relegated there by a new "answer" to it all.
bousozoku is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:04 PM   #23
chanoc
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkst1
Students learn Windows because "that's what businesses use." I'd love to see other businesses pick up OS X or Linux, but then the "Macs don't have viruses" excuse goes out the window because then it becomes a targeted OS. OS X has a lot of vulnerablities that just aren't exploited because no one targets it.
Well I look at the Alaska job market every day and very rarely do jobs come around that use Macs or Linux, although this may be different in other markets - I don't know. The University of Alaska is so Winblows essentric, they bash Macs and tell students Macs are not made anymore. The ignorant students actually buy into that fallacy, yet this student did not.
chanoc is offline   0
Old Nov 19, 2004, 12:31 PM   #24
wdlove
macrumors 604

I was surprised that the article only talked about Linux. Apple is in this game also. There would be more of a problem with supply of product if the market share would increase. The bigger probe would be that Mac OS X would be more of a target for a virus.
Old Nov 21, 2004, 02:29 AM   #25
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Next 10 years=paradigm shift

We are seeing the beginning of a tipping-point, a moment when Microsoft's mile-long freight train has already hit the brakes and it's just taking time for it to slow down. Microsoft is the great white-hunter hit by a pygmy's poison dart, it just doesn't realize it's dead yet.
Linux was created, for all intensive purposes, less than a decade ago, and now that software is the main interest of companies like IBM. Companies are considering Linux as a viable alternative, and with the security brewhaha of the past year Microsoft has been clearly shown as incapable of evolving. Their security assurance has been a joke and not everyone wants to wait for Longhorn the late bullock.
Linux works on x86 hardware and versions such as Linspire and others are making it easier to run Windows programs without Windows. Versions of Linux are very powerful, but can be easy to use (although OSX beats them all hands-down) and don't come with the ActiveX security night-mare that is IE.
And in that note, IE and dare-I-say WMP, are also becoming less and less dominant. IE is losing market-share already, and WMP isn't doing very well against the combination of iTMS and the iPod.
Microsoft's only real stablity comes from MS Office and even this is being challenged by OpenOffice, albeit less sucessfully.
Microsoft has been engaged on several fronts at once and they're not winning many battles.

Laslty, I think a nice 55% (Linux), 15% (Apple) and the remainder goes to Microsoft and all the various flavors of *nix would be perfect. This way, Apple holds a powerful position, especially among movie/music/creative interest, without getting killed like Microsoft is now as the king-of-the-hill. Let someone else hold that position. And, while Apple has problems shipping machines now this could be mitigated, because as Apple grows so does it's infastructure. And 15% of the market means more money for R&D and therefore more development. This also allows room for a new player, and new company to move into the computer industry without a single dominate player. This variance also enforces standards, because any developer will choose the technology that works across many platforms. Goodbye Active X, goodbye WMP 10 with DRM. This means cross-platform Java, scripting, and web-browsing. This means no one company can ignore CSS rules without paying for it.
Microsoft can be an innovator, the company has produced outstanding products, but they have become lazy and irresolute, too full and too satisfied with themselves to be anything better.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion