Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kingk120

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2008
How can I simply unlock my old 2G iPhone to t-mobile. I don't really want to jailbreak it, but what can I do? Thanks in advance!

Obese Lobsters

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2010
Sorry, you're going to have to jailbreak it in order to unlock it. Just jailbreak and unlock it or else you'll end up with a slightly thicker ipod touch with a camera.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
AppleJ, I recently acquired a used 3G 3.1.3 with baseband 05.12.01. I would like to jailbreak and unlock it for my T-mobile sim. I was at work earlier and was able to browse on this forum about the basic info bout unlocking but I can't find it now. Please direct me to a link. BTW, I use Macbook Pro as my computer. Thanks in advance.

Here you go bro.
http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4254
After you JB it you open up cydia and install ultrasnow to unlock it.
Thats it. Good luck.

DJohm

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
I will finally get a chance tonight to JB and unlock my newly acquired used iPhone 3G FW 3.1.3. Since my friend left his "disactivated" AT&T sim card on the phone, do I need to take that out and put in my T-Mobile sim card or leave the AT&T sim and after JB and unlocked - put my T-Mobile sim? Thanks in advance.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
I will finally get a chance tonight to JB and unlock my newly acquired used iPhone 3G FW 3.1.3. Since my friend left his "disactivated" AT&T sim card on the phone, do I need to take that out and put in my T-Mobile sim card or leave the AT&T sim and after JB and unlocked - put my T-Mobile sim? Thanks in advance.

If it is an AT&T phone, leave the sim in when you jailbreak so the sim can activate the phone. Better than hacktivation.

Once done, unlock it, turn off 3G and pop the T-mobile sim in.

DJohm

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
If it is an AT&T phone, leave the sim in when you jailbreak so the sim can activate the phone. Better than hacktivation.

Once done, unlock it, turn off 3G and pop the T-mobile sim in.

Sorry, first time JB'er, how do I turn off the 3G?

DJohm

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Great... I'll let u guys know how it goes.... Thanks for all the info... This forum ROCKS!!!:apple:

DJohm

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Pwnage Tool 3.1.5

Finally got a day off to JB my 3G, first timer here and I was able to download the ipsw file with no prob but the Pwnage Tool 3.1.5 on the iClarified link would not open with safari and with firefox it's asking if I should save or open with application. please help.... using mac btw. thanks.

DJohm

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Update

After a rough start, I was able to JB and unlock my iPhone and on my T-Mobile network with unlimited data plan. Very Happy:D. I'd like to thank everyone's advice. Hope to help someone later once I become an expert...;)

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
http://www.jailbreakmatrix.com/

Great site for information which jailbreak/unlock to use ;)

wow, right now it's saying pretty much anything can get jailbroken except the iPhone 2g. I'm going to look on craigslist and look for a 3gs in the best condition I can find, hopefully one that's not too old so that I can still have a warranty.

I looked at the instructions for jailbreak me (iPhone | How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using JailbreakMe [4.0.0, 4.0.1]) and it seems really easy. But what about the whole backing up of files like was done with the older tutorials that I read.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
wow, right now it's saying pretty much anything can get jailbroken except the iPhone 2g. I'm going to look on craigslist and look for a 3gs in the best condition I can find, hopefully one that's not too old so that I can still have a warranty.

I looked at the instructions for jailbreak me (iPhone | How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using JailbreakMe [4.0.0, 4.0.1]) and it seems really easy. But what about the whole backing up of files like was done with the older tutorials that I read.

At the moment any iphone can get JB and unlocked.
But you gotta hurry till Apple patches the JB and unlock hacks soon.

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
At the moment any iphone can get JB and unlocked.
But you gotta hurry till Apple patches the JB and unlock hacks soon.

already on the search now. Any thoughts regarding my other question - backing up things like.. (I think it's called) SHSH or something. I remember reading about it in older tutorials. In the new way we don't have to do that? I'm trying to find a 3gs with a receipt some warranty left and then (depending on the price I get) maybe I'll get it w/ applecare to protect it. If anything goes wrong, I'd like to be able to restore as if I never jailbroke or unlocked and take it in for repair

miston

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2014
How can I simply unlock my old 2G iPhone to t-mobile. I don't really want to jailbreak it, but what can I do? Thanks in advance!

Have you tried Remote Unlocking method?
No means, visit WickedUnlock.com Through this method you can unlock your iPhone without jailbreaking. For buying this unlocking service no need to go to phone unlocking shop.You can easily get the service from home with the help of online unlocking service..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.