Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Old Jul 29, 2010, 01:58 AM   #1
higi
macrumors newbie

Is 256GB enough?

Hey all,

Now that it has been updated, I'm going to buy my first iMac, and was thinking about the configuration. I had thought about getting the i7, 4x2GB=8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

I see people who are getting SSDs are also getting the 1TB hard drive. Do people really use that much space? In my last computers I've never had more than 200GB and never used it all.

This way, I will have less storage space but I believe I will have less noise. Any advice will be apreciated.
higi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:02 AM   #2
JHorstmann
macrumors member

What do you want on it?

Do you plan on having hundreds of gigs of movies and music? That's what it really comes down to. If you just have programs, a couple games, music, and some movies, you should be fine.

I have like 20 movies, discographies of The Office, How I met Your Mother, Big Bang Theory, 60 gigs of music, and quite a few programs and I still have 20 or so gigs left on my 180 gig macbook.
JHorstmann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:20 AM   #3
hleewell
macrumors 6502

Even a 128GB SSD is enough for me for app launchings & critical files. The rest would go to 1TB or 2TB HDD. It's hugely disappointing that Apple excludes the SSD+HDD hybrid system from the 21.5". I still think the 27" is way too large for most people with the exception of hardcore graphic designer, photographers, & gaming folks.
hleewell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 03:50 AM   #4
higi
macrumors newbie

I have music, but not movies. I usually stream them over the internet. As for games, I'm not interested either. It would be basically for music, photos, documents and such.

In case I want to add a HDD later on, would that be easy?
higi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:16 AM   #5
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by higi View Post
I have music, but not movies. I usually stream them over the internet. As for games, I'm not interested either. It would be basically for music, photos, documents and such.

In case I want to add a HDD later on, would that be easy?
If you add external, it will be but adding internal isn't. However, external FW800 HD is more than sufficient for storing data like movies, music, photos.... I have all my music, photos and movies on externals
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:51 AM   #6
Spurk
macrumors newbie

Does anyone know if i can use any OCZ, Patriot, Kingston or APACER memory chips(RAM?). I get a decent discount on those brands so i would love to just buy them private rather then included on the iMac?
Spurk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 04:53 AM   #7
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurk View Post
Does anyone know if i can use any OCZ, Patriot, Kingston or APACER memory chips(RAM?). I get a decent discount on those brands so i would love to just buy them private rather then included on the iMac?
Sure, I've seen at least OCZ and Kingston being used in Macs but if the specs match, then any brand should work
Old Jul 29, 2010, 05:03 AM   #8
Spurk
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
Sure, I've seen at least OCZ and Kingston being used in Macs but if the specs match, then any brand should work
Any way i can tell if they are compatible or not? Maybe you could recommend some?

By the way, you`re a great asset too this forum
Spurk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 08:54 AM   #9
Stealthipad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by higi View Post
Hey all,

Now that it has been updated, I'm going to buy my first iMac, and was thinking about the configuration. I had thought about getting the i7, 4x2GB=8GB RAM and 256GB SSD.

I see people who are getting SSDs are also getting the 1TB hard drive. Do people really use that much space? In my last computers I've never had more than 200GB and never used it all.

This way, I will have less storage space but I believe I will have less noise. Any advice will be apreciated.
Why don't you look at your current computer and see what you are using now. Only YOU can decide if it is big enough
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:20 AM   #10
jmpage2
macrumors 68030

256GB is more than enough if you offload all of your media to an external storage solution such as a Drobo, Windows Home Server, etc.

The SSD drives are rocket fast and super sexy but really it comes down to what your machine is used for as to whether or not it is worth it.

For many users, once the OS is booted up, if they have sufficient RAM they won't especially notice the speed difference of the SSD for regular day to day stuff.
jmpage2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2010, 09:27 AM   #11
zaffle
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hleewell View Post
Even a 128GB SSD is enough for me for app launchings & critical files. The rest would go to 1TB or 2TB HDD. It's hugely disappointing that Apple excludes the SSD+HDD hybrid system from the 21.5". I still think the 27" is way too large for most people with the exception of hardcore graphic designer, photographers, & gaming folks.
where on earth would you put it?
zaffle is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac