Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

034420-kindle.jpg

Last night, Amazon announced an all new Wi-Fi only Kindle that starts at only $139 with a 3G-capable one for $189.
Amazon.com is excited to introduce a new generation of Kindle. The all-new Kindle has a new electronic-ink screen with 50 percent better contrast than any other e-reader, a new sleek design with a 21 percent smaller body while still keeping the same 6-inch-size reading area, and a 15 percent lighter weight at just 8.7 ounces.
Both models are slated for release on August 27th though Amazon has begun preorders. The new Kindle is also said to offer 20% faster page turns, up to one month of battery life, and double the storage to 3,500 books.

Amazon's dedicated e-reader has been seen as an overlapping market for the Apple iPad. Amazon, however, has been aggressive about expanding the Kindle platform beyond just the hardware device itself. The company has also released a Kindle-compatible app for the iPhone and iPad.

Article Link: Amazon Announces New Kindles: $139 Wi-Fi, $189 3G

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Introducing the new amazon kindle, the ereader that's so annoying to get outside America you might as well not bother.

OT, why do people keep on comparing a Kindle to an iPad? The iPad does so much more than a kindle.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Own kindle & own iPad.

Bar none the kindle is a country mile ahead in terms of being the device that has endeared me to books again. A wonderful device despite the iPad being a world-class device itself.

For really getting into a book, kindle/actual books can't be beat.

icloud

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Introducing the new amazon kindle, the ereader that's so hard to get outside America you might as well not bother.

OT, why do people keep on comparing a Kindle to an iPad? The iPad does so much more than a kindle.

Are you referring to countries that the kindle isn't available in yet? I ordered my kindle to Canada at it was sitting at my doorstep the next day.

wjlafrance

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2009
Madison, WI
Okay, I thought long and hard about this, and I can't figure out what this has to do with Apple. Because the iPad competes (and not really, even) with the Kindle, a new revision of that device gets announced here?

Likewise, shouldn't there be a news story every time a new Best Buy or Walmart opens? They sell Macs and iPods.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
I can finally buy "natively" from the UK store with free shipping. I might have to finally go electronic - £109 isn't a bad price as I don't need 3G.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
I'm assuming the 50% gamut increase is in comparison to all other e-readers excluding Kindles, correct? That would be quite a slap in the face to buyers of the old Kindles.

Cancelled
Dec 10, 2009
I have too much backlight in my life...

Now that the Kindle is in a decent price-range, it seems like a much more attractive purchase. The iPad and Kindle are really not comparable devices. The iPad is a touch computer with eReading capabilities and the Kindle is a dedicated eReader. Because all of the focus has gone into this one quality as opposed to everything else, I believe the Kindle is better for it. There is no doubt that iBooks is an excellent little app and I love the detail thrown into it. However, nothing compares to an electronic ink screen when trying to read a book (except of course, books themselves). The backlight and discernable pixels on the iPad make reading for long stretches a chore. While visiting my dad, I tried to read one of his downloaded books and after about 20 minutes, I was feeling the strain. It's just because I'm exposed to LCD screens ALL the time and sometimes simply need a break from them.

At work, I am in front of an LCD screen. At home, I watch movies, play games and surf the web in front of an LCD screen. When I play a game or open an app on my iPhone, I'm in front of an LCD screen. There's too much backlight in my life. When I read a book, I want it to reflect light, not produce it. When reading is your escape from computers, you don't want to have to use a full-blown computer to do it (opinions of the iPad as full computer aside). I say, long live the Kindle. I think there are enough avid readers out there who would agree that as a dedicated reader, it is the preferred option.

Mr. Penox

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
Are you kidding?

I'm assuming the 50% gamut increase is in comparison to all other e-readers excluding Kindles, correct? That would be quite a slap in the face to buyers of the old Kindles.

Yes, because a company shouldn't try to make the best product possible, right?

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
Because some people here like to read books and are debating whether to buy a Kindle or an iPad for ebook reading?

Exactly.

I almost bought an iPad this week primarily as a reading device. But Amazon has a far better selection of books, better pricing on those books, and most independent reviewers agree the Kindle is a better eBook reading device. So this new model and lower price couldn't have come at a better time for me.

Badradio

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2004
Manchester
Because some people here like to read books and are debating whether to buy a Kindle or an iPad for ebook reading?

People like me. This was an astute move on Amazon's part. I was looking at the iPad, but the compromise on eBook functionality was holding me back. Now I can buy a Kindle at a great price and use my MBP for everything the iPad would otherwise do. Not that I'm anti-iPad - I just want the best eBook experience I can get.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
The iPad can do a bunch of things, but to me it was never a real e-book reader. There's no point reading them with the screen of the iPad.

Besides, the Kindle is quarter of the price of the iPad and it's light. You may buy one and enjoy reading books. That's it, no games, no gimmicks, just books. But when you do that, you can actually see the letters without going blind.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.