Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 14, 2010, 07:58 PM   #26
izimzis
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
seriously why would you do that? i mean the ipod OS does not need it at all....
izimzis is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 09:09 PM   #27
DoFoT9
macrumors P6
 
DoFoT9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Singapore
Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgarjr View Post
not only that, u need one that has the ZIF flat cable.
yeh, i knew that

Quote:
Originally Posted by izimzis View Post
seriously why would you do that? i mean the ipod OS does not need it at all....
for obvious reasons of course. speed increase turning on/loading songs/seeking, added battery life, overall snappiness™ etc.
__________________
Official MacRumors IRC @ irc.krono.net #macrumors (Or http://kewlirc.net:9090/)
2012 2.5GHz Mac Mini Dual - 16GB RAM
Win8 PC - i5-3570k - 16GB RAM - SSD
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:08 PM   #28
SlamJam12
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Chances?

Is there any chance that the iPod classic will get 128 GB flash memory sometime before the next iPod media event or at the next iPod media event?
SlamJam12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2010, 10:20 PM   #29
Shadow Runner
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamJam12 View Post
Is there any chance that the iPod classic will get 128 GB flash memory sometime before the next iPod media event or at the next iPod media event?
I would say the chances of that happening are zero. The soonest I could see apple using ssd in place of hdd (note if they even do at all) would be in 3 or so years when the prices aren't insane. But by then the ipod nano and ipod touch should have options for storage in the classics range right now.
__________________
So I have some Apple stuff, what about it?
Shadow Runner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2010, 12:46 AM   #30
SlamJam12
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Runner View Post
I would say the chances of that happening are zero. The soonest I could see apple using ssd in place of hdd (note if they even do at all) would be in 3 or so years when the prices aren't insane. But by then the ipod nano and ipod touch should have options for storage in the classics range right now.
I am confused. Are you talking about just SSD? Or is SSD the same thing as flash based memory? I am just trying to distinguish between the two.
SlamJam12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 04:05 PM   #31
GOBMarlow
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Any word?

Any word on the KingSpec? Their prices are pretty reasonable. There's a RunCore available on Amazon too. They both seem to run at 3.3V. Should this be a problem? Lastly, I'm assuming that PATA ZIF SSD's won't require any adapters, correct?
GOBMarlow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 05:41 PM   #32
LightSpeed1
macrumors 6502a
 
LightSpeed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Washington D.C.
This is incredible.
__________________
MacBook Pro 2.3GHz i5 | iPhone 5S | iPad 2 | eBay
LightSpeed1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2011, 11:27 PM   #33
ezekielrage_99
macrumors 68040
 
ezekielrage_99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Very, very cool... But why
__________________
"There is a world elsewhere" - Coriolanus
ezekielrage_99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 01:57 PM   #34
MParrott
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Well, the 128 gig 1.8" RunCore SSD will not work... It is too big and teh connections are on the long side...

Anyone find one that will fit in the classic?

You can scratch the RCP-IV-P1828-MCNV off the list...

Hope memoryC will except the return...

Advertised as a 1.8" pata

Please let us know what drives work.
MParrott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 02:10 PM   #35
MParrott
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Well, now I'm kinda frustrated... The box they sent me clearly states IDE... I ordered the zif version... If the zif version is smaller it should work, and I bet the connections are in the right place.
MParrott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2011, 04:23 AM   #36
blackburn
macrumors 6502a
 
blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where Judas lost it's boots.
Fat classic -> ce-ata
Slim classic -> pata

One way to check is by running rockbox in it.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad + Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
blackburn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 04:58 PM   #37
Streem
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Super Talent 128GB SSD is working on my ipod classic 6th gen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foto 2.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	458.4 KB
ID:	281663   Click image for larger version

Name:	foto 1.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	584.0 KB
ID:	281664  
Streem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:09 AM   #38
yly3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
You guys are tempting me to get this done on my 160 6G.. Are there any 160GB SSDs or even larger that would fit it?
__________________
Dreaming about an iPod Pro
yly3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 05:38 AM   #39
blackburn
macrumors 6502a
 
blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where Judas lost it's boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yly3 View Post
You guys are tempting me to get this done on my 160 6G.. Are there any 160GB SSDs or even larger that would fit it?
If your ipod isn't fat it, you could an try to buy an 256gb ssd, but it will cost a lot.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad + Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
blackburn is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 06:04 AM   #40
yly3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Sorry, didn't get that. Isn't fat what ? It's the 2008 model (double-platter) I think some call it the fattyo or whatever. What are the other advantages of having an SSD besides speed? I heard battery life is also better but is it true they die "faster" when they are full ?
__________________
Dreaming about an iPod Pro
yly3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2011, 03:12 PM   #41
blackburn
macrumors 6502a
 
blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where Judas lost it's boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yly3 View Post
Sorry, didn't get that. Isn't fat what ? It's the 2008 model (double-platter) I think some call it the fattyo or whatever. What are the other advantages of having an SSD besides speed? I heard battery life is also better but is it true they die "faster" when they are full ?
If your is the double-platter (fat / ce-ata interface) you will need an ce-ata ssd or an extra apple ribbon to connect the pata ssd. I highly doubt you can kill the ssd just by using it on a portable audio player my ssd has 4 months and has 100% health and I use my mac every day
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad + Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
blackburn is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:05 AM   #42
yly3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Well I'm very tempted to be honest. I love my classic, I love its battery life and Apple current policies aren't hinting at an large SSD Classic anytime soon. So, if I still "throw" the money I won't get "just" 160GB. I'd hit the 256 SSD. I'm a total n00b when it comes to this kind of mods but I know some pro guys.

Do you think a Samsung 1.8" 256SSD will work? And what's the difference between microSATA and uSata ? In fact, which one would you recommend for my 6G ?
__________________
Dreaming about an iPod Pro
yly3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 08:11 AM   #43
blackburn
macrumors 6502a
 
blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where Judas lost it's boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yly3 View Post
Well I'm very tempted to be honest. I love my classic, I love its battery life and Apple current policies aren't hinting at an large SSD Classic anytime soon. So, if I still "throw" the money I won't get "just" 160GB. I'd hit the 256 SSD. I'm a total n00b when it comes to this kind of mods but I know some pro guys.

Do you think a Samsung 1.8" 256SSD will work? And what's the difference between microSATA and uSata ? In fact, which one would you recommend for my 6G ?
For you 6G you need an pata zif ssd and an original apple ribon from an ipod classic (slim models) or an 5th gen ipod. Loads of patience for prying open the classic's case.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad + Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
blackburn is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 12:25 PM   #44
yly3
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Before this one I had the 5G and my 6G is slimmer than that one. I presume you'd say "get a slimmer or get the 5G" because the 6th would be thicker, right? I had a little topic over here in order to identify what generation mine really is. The cover box is of the 7G, but it has the laggy GUI and I hear the HDD spinning/making noises almost all the time so I am pretty sure it would be the 6G.

Would there be a significant difference in terms of battery life ?
__________________
Dreaming about an iPod Pro
yly3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2011, 07:32 PM   #45
blackburn
macrumors 6502a
 
blackburn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Where Judas lost it's boots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yly3 View Post
Before this one I had the 5G and my 6G is slimmer than that one. I presume you'd say "get a slimmer or get the 5G" because the 6th would be thicker, right? I had a little topic over here in order to identify what generation mine really is. The cover box is of the 7G, but it has the laggy GUI and I hear the HDD spinning/making noises almost all the time so I am pretty sure it would be the 6G.

Would there be a significant difference in terms of battery life ?
Nonono. the original 160gb classic is the fat one. Apple launched an slim 80gb classic and an fat one 160gb in 2007 if my memory isn't tricking me. Then in 2008 they only sold an slim 120gb classic, and finally in 2009 they replaced it with an 160gb slim model.

Every classic has an laggy UI (unless it has been modded). What I said was if you have the original fat classic you will need an new zif cable.

Battery should last a while more (at least with cf cards battery life usually improved), specially if your ipod is the fat one, since the battery is bigger.
__________________
Lenovo ThinkPad + Nexus 7 (2nd Gen)
blackburn is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 01:33 PM   #46
GOBMarlow
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
On that super talent: looks like the part number is FZM28GF18H, correct? That's a 40-pin PATA Ziff drive. As long as I get one of those it should work?

I just want to make sure I get the right thing this time... Will this one work?

They provided this data sheet

The connection looks right... The part number is also correct, but they have "IDE" in the description... That cost me with the last SSD I purchased.

Last edited by GOBMarlow; Apr 25, 2011 at 03:25 PM. Reason: more detail prior to any answer.
GOBMarlow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:00 PM   #47
runtheline
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
I want to know is there any ssd working on iPhone.
__________________
healthy food
healthy food
runtheline is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 02:02 PM   #48
GOBMarlow
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by runtheline View Post
I want to know is there any ssd working on iPhone.
I believe iPhones already have solid state memory built onto their proprietary boards.
GOBMarlow is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2011, 10:36 PM   #49
Poolo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Good old australia
Wow nice modding dude!!
__________________
MACS FOREVER
Poolo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2011, 03:10 PM   #50
Streem
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
GOBMarlow:
Super Talent FZM28GF18H will work

My drive specs:
Specification
Mfr Part Number: FZM28GF18H
Capacity: 128 GB
Form Factor: 1.8 inch
Interface: 40-pin PATA ZIF
NAND Flash: MLC


Plays 39,5 hours music with full audio volume... the battery is a brand new.
Streem is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sammy 840 pro 128gb internal ssd vs external TB ssd wkw iMac 2 Oct 14, 2013 09:15 AM
iPod classic 6th Gen SSD Mod jrswizzle iPod 13 Jun 26, 2013 02:34 PM
Ipod classic ssd or what?? science0654 iPod 1 Feb 19, 2013 09:47 PM
Kingston Hyperx 3k 128gb or Samsung 830 128gb ssd? macmesser Mac Pro 4 Oct 17, 2012 09:16 AM
500gb 7200rpm w/SSD or 128gb SSD for 2006 Mac Mini? El Burro Mac mini 16 Aug 23, 2012 05:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:28 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC