Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkyMasterson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
Let's be honest here, alot of us are gonna be (or already are) playing SC2 and I know there are people out there like myself who've waited for this refresh so we can play SC2 at the highest level as possible on an imac.

So for those who have purchased the new imacs and played SC2 on it, how does it run?

I would prefer to hear how it runs on osx (no bootcamp) first if possible. Thanks.

Edit: To specifiy, what's the max setting you can put it on that still keeps at a decent framerate?

SkyMasterson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
You should tell us what model you have first.

Well, uh I got a pentium 4 Sony Vaio (2003 model) lol :p

I haven't purchased my mac yet, waiting another week until summer school is over. Though I'll say my intended purchase is the higher end 21.5 inch model.

I'm just curious to see how it's running for everyone and which model they have. I would love to be ableto run it in ultra settings in native resolution under osx, but from what I've beenreading, that may not be possible.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
It's not even possible for the highest end model. Starcraft2 runs pretty badly under osx.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
I wouldn't say that is true I'm running SC2 on my 13" MBP 2010 and it runs fine at the med. settings

And you could probably get away with running it on high-ultra under windows.

I can fun starcraft2 maxed out at 27 iMac's native resolution on windows and get 30fps. If I try to do the same on OSX, I get 5fps.

When it comes time to use my PvP settings (all settings set to highest and native resolution, spare shaders to low) I get 40-70fps in OSX, and 200-250 fps in Windows.

TMRaven

macrumors 68020
Nov 5, 2009
Those tests are pretty good. To get a good sense of how mobility 5850 and mobility 4850 compare, use desktop 5750 and desktop 4830 respectively.

jicka

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
And you could probably get away with running it on high-ultra under windows.

I can fun starcraft2 maxed out at 27 iMac's native resolution on windows and get 30fps. If I try to do the same on OSX, I get 5fps.

When it comes time to use my PvP settings (all settings set to highest and native resolution, spare shaders to low) I get 40-70fps in OSX, and 200-250 fps in Windows.

I'm running it at the iMacs native res on the new one everything maxed and not noticing any slow down but I haven't played a lot yet so maybe It will slow down in some of the bigger battles. How do you check the fps on a mac is there a setting in the game? I have only used fraps in windows.

dkd0nuts

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
I got my quad core i5 the day it came out and have been playing sc2 everyday on it. It runs really well, i keep the settings at 1980 x 1200 (not sure what the exact resolution is too lazy to look it up) with medium graphic settings and I get about 45-50 fps. If I max out the res and keep at medium it stays at about 30 fps. This is just from what I remember but sc2 looks amazing on the 27inch and runs perfectly fine.

SkyMasterson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
I got my quad core i5 the day it came out and have been playing sc2 everyday on it. It runs really well, i keep the settings at 1980 x 1200 (not sure what the exact resolution is too lazy to look it up) with medium graphic settings and I get about 45-50 fps. If I max out the res and keep at medium it stays at about 30 fps. This is just from what I remember but sc2 looks amazing on the 27inch and runs perfectly fine.

Sweet, thanks man.

iMatthew

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
27" C2D w/4670

Running on Med detail, 1920x1080, all other settings set to med, effects are on high.

Hovering around 30-32 FPS, I think once they fix Open GL it will be better, I heard going back to 10.6.3 gets a you great boost in framerate.

saschke

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2008
San Francisco, CA
You should always specify if you're running on Windows or OS X!
I've ordered a new Quad-i5 iMac 27 just now and am looking forward to playing some nice SC2 on it :p

jicka

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2010
I checked the fps on my new 27inch i5 HD5850 iMac. With everything on ultra I get 15-20 fps but it slows down a little when there is a lot of action on screen
Ill probly install windows soon I want to be able to run as close to max settings at 30+fps as possible and it isn't happening on the osx side.

SkyMasterson

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 28, 2010
27" C2D w/4670

Running on Med detail, 1920x1080, all other settings set to med, effects are on high.

Hovering around 30-32 FPS, I think once they fix Open GL it will be better, I heard going back to 10.6.3 gets a you great boost in framerate.

Nice, that's some solid performance. I'd be happy with that. Thanks for sharing.

Block

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
My friend got the highest-end one but with no upgrades and under windows it runs fine at half Ultra-High/half High settings at max resolution. On OSX it runs at about Medium/Low at max resolution with Low being for shaders, shadows and lighting. In both cases you get 35-60 fps, depending on what you are doing.

henrikrox

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2010
My friend got the highest-end one but with no upgrades and under windows it runs fine at half Ultra-High/half High settings at max resolution. On OSX it runs at about Medium/Low at max resolution with Low being for shaders, shadows and lighting. In both cases you get 35-60 fps, depending on what you are doing.

WOW! high and ultra in windows at 35-60 fps. damn damn!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.