Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sahnert

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2003
Seattle
I have a friend on windows xp computer and I convinced her to switch from IE to Firefox. She has adjusted pretty well to the major differences, but there are still a few things that IE does that I can't find out about Firefox. She has MSN messenger and AIM and with IE she can launch them from little button icons in the toolbar. Is there any similar functionality, or something that can simulate this for her? Thanks for any help

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
Try dragging them to the bookmarks bar. Honestly that has to be the worst "feature" of IE on Windows - those icons that get installed by programs. However, dragging the program icons into the bookmarks bar "should" work.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Why not just create a couple shortcuts in the Quick Launch area of the taskbar? It would still take only one click.

If this isn't running, you can turn it on by right clicking the taskbar and select Quick Launch from the Toolbars list.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
This is tangential to what you asked - but you might want to suggest she try using gaim to connect to both chat accounts (as well as lots of others) at the same time. No ads, you can have all your chats in one tabbed window if you want, your buddy lists are all in one window, etc.

If you enable the "wingaim" options she can even have it sit in the taskbar and/or autolaunch when she first logs in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.