Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZombieChef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Canada
Hi
I own a 400mhz G3 iMac and I have a problem. Lately its been running much slower than usual, and if I try to play any sort of game the screen just goes black and I have to restart my computer. I can't think of anything I may have done to cause this. Can anyone suggest some way to fix this and make my computer run like it used to?
Thanks in advance,
ZombieChef

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Slow iMac

You'll get better quality responses if you provide more information about your system and your trouble.

What OS are you running?
What game(s) are quitting?
How much RAM do you have?
What happens if you boot from a CD-ROM like your System CD? Does it operate normally?
What did you last install or change on the machine?
When did you do your last Software Update?
What peripherals do you have attached? Does it change if you detach everything except the stock keyboard and mouse?
Does it work OK when you first restart, and then get progressively worse, or is it bad from the get-go?

Thanks,
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
ZombieChef said:
Hi
I own a 400mhz G3 iMac and I have a problem. Lately its been running much slower than usual, and if I try to play any sort of game the screen just goes black and I have to restart my computer. I can't think of anything I may have done to cause this. Can anyone suggest some way to fix this and make my computer run like it used to?
Thanks in advance,
ZombieChef
I strongly suspect that something's wrong with OpenGL (the graphics layer that makes Mac OS X pretty and zip like it does). An Archive and Install of Mac OS X (or a clean install of Mac OS 9, if that's what you're using) should get everything back to normal again.

ZombieChef

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 4, 2004
Canada
Thanks for the quick replies.
I quized the rest of my family to find out what the most recently installed thing was. My brother admitted that he downloaded some program called Poison. It is a music and movie ownloading program he got somewhere on the internet. ( grrrrr... Bad brother) Anyways,this seems to be a liekly cause to me. Does this make sense? If so, is the problem just too much garbage files hanging around, or is it that these files mightve done something else to my computer. What do I do now as he has already downloaed a buch of random crap that is all over the place in the HD, so I cant just easily delete it.

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
I have had Poisoned installed in the past, but it never gave me any of those problems, unless the app was left running (it then uploads files to those requesting them, which takes alot of bandwidth and hard drive access).

ryan42

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2003
Near Houston, TX
Okay, go ahead and do this for me...

Right
1) Click your hard disk
2) Hit Get info from the control-click menu
3) Grab a long metal stick
4) Look at free space available
5) IF "Free Space Available" < "1 GB" THEN "Hit brother repedidly over head with metal stick"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.