Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
we need 3 more seti members to reach 100 people...come on people...just join...and contribute as well..we got a few inactives that aren't doing much at all...

Geert

macrumors 6502a
May 28, 2001
.be
I have been doubting about this for a while to join, also about folding@home.

But what is it actually, how does it work, and what comp should you have to do it?

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Originally posted by Geert
...But what is it actually...
Well you keep your computer running all night and day (and pay about $6 a month for the energy) and then you tell everybody proudly that you are chasing creatures from Mars and UFO and the like...

Better start folding!

noht*

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
* hidden between worlds
i agree with backspinner, there are distributed computing projects which make a lot more sense than chasing extraterrestrial intelligence.
check out this page for an overview
BTW afaik, it was distributed.net who started the whole thing, yet SETI was better suited to induce a media-hype (what is cryptography when you can have UFOs?) which made it the most successful of these projects.

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
What's up with the MacRumors team list in seti??? It says I only have 18 WU's when I really have 28!:mad:

MacMaster

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Come on guys! Wake up and do something for Seti@home[MR]!

Come on guys! If you have any old computers that can't run os X for folding, dust them off, plug them in, install seti, launch seti, put it to sleep, and let it sit there and crunch! It's not that hard!

Attachments

• internet explorer  1.jpg
    internet explorer 1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 161

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Originally posted by noht*
i agree with backspinner, there are distributed computing projects which make a lot more sense than chasing extraterrestrial intelligence.
check out this page for an overview
BTW afaik, it was distributed.net who started the whole thing, yet SETI was better suited to induce a media-hype (what is cryptography when you can have UFOs?) which made it the most successful of these projects.

We should be chasing intelligence on this planet instead of looking off-planet for it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.