Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

James.123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
Where are they already? i would have expected that by now there would be plenty of apps that use the front facing camera to video chat with computers. Frings started it but thats really it. and its not that good on fring.

moussekateer

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
There were a few apps already, one called ichatr that was exactly like chatroulette. They've since been removed by Apple presumably because of nudity. Which I find ridiculous, should they remove all twitter apps because people post rude words on twitter from them?

phearx

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
fring is your best bet, I use it to chat with my girl who has a EVO and it works great.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Yeah I haven't seen anything other than Fring... which didn't give me good results when I tried it. For now I'm sticking to FaceTime and the four friends of mine that also have iPhone 4s haha. Can't wait for Skype video.

James.123

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2009
these are all for phone-phone video. Is there any developer in the works or a iphone video-computer video chat app? I would pay good money for a nice iphone 4-computer video chat app. Where is beejive or aim's updates?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
these are all for phone-phone video. Is there any developer in the works or a iphone video-computer video chat app? I would pay good money for a nice iphone 4-computer video chat app. Where is beejive or aim's updates?

I'd put money on a free FaceTime client from Apple for Windows and Mac by Christmas.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
How do you get the video chat to work with Fring? Is it with a certain client like AIM or MSN? I tried Google, but it said it wasn't supported.

ventro

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2006
Seriously, I can't believe there isn't an app out there that will let you video chat with a PC/Mac. What's up with that? Where is the skype update with video chat?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.