Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming

Old Nov 20, 2004, 05:36 AM   #1
naveen
macrumors member

Compatibility of an application developed on mac os x

hi all
I want to know whether application developed on mac os x is compatible to mac os 9?
I m working on qt for mac on mac os x ,i want to know whether the application developed on qt for mac os x is compatible to mac os 9.

plz give me valuable suggestions
thanx in advance
naveen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 08:00 AM   #2
robbieduncan

If the App is written in Carbon (and any additional supporting libraries are available for OS9) then the App will work on OS9 (and maybe later versions of 8). If you use Cocoa then it will definitely not work on OS9.

QT could mean 2 things here: QuickTime which should be fine for OS9 or Troll Tech's QT GUI/App toolkit. As there is no port of QT to OS9 that I am aware of then this would only run on OSX.
robbieduncan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 08:56 AM   #3
Rincewind42
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieduncan
If the App is written in Carbon (and any additional supporting libraries are available for OS9) then the App will work on OS9 (and maybe later versions of 8). If you use Cocoa then it will definitely not work on OS9.
Just to clarify this, it has to be written in subset of Carbon, the subset supported by CarbonLib. It also has to be CFM (which requires you to get a copy of CodeWarrior because Xcode doesn't do CFM). And it is generally a pain in the arse that isn't worth it. Pretty much everything new requires 10.2+.
Rincewind42 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Sun Baked
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rincewind42
Just to clarify this, it has to be written in subset of Carbon, the subset supported by CarbonLib. It also has to be CFM (which requires you to get a copy of CodeWarrior because Xcode doesn't do CFM). And it is generally a pain in the arse that isn't worth it. Pretty much everything new requires 10.2+.
Yes, depending on which libraries/OS features you want to use -- it may not work on older OS versions, even though it is a Carbon Application.

If you want it to work in OS 9, you'll probably be stuck with basically developing a new OS 9 Carbon application.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Programming > Mac Programming