Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skcrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
trying to decide between refurb i7 or new i5 27 inch. the deal on the refurb i7 seems really good. other than video card is the processor much different between i5 and i7 quad core both 2.8. which would you get.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
i5 for me. People have been banging on about the i7 "up to" x% faster for 12 months now. And yet still today, very few applications can take advantage of it. By the time there is any tangible benefit, I think both the i5 and i7 will feel like dinosaur computers. :)

skcrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
I am most interested in the $300 cost savings to me, the additional processing power is nice, I just don't need the additional video card capacity as I really don't play games on it. It just seems like a good deal to me compared to the new quad i5

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I am most interested in the $300 cost savings to me, the additional processing power is nice, I just don't need the additional video card capacity as I really don't play games on it. It just seems like a good deal to me compared to the new quad i5

Definitely better deal for you though you could get the refurb i5 as well, it's even cheaper. The new one isn't that good upgrade, only better GPU and option for SSD

skcrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
I appreciate the suggestion I think I will go for the i7 since it is only $170 more and it has hyperthreading,

skcrane

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 24, 2009
dayton, oh
probably not but I am hoping for $170 will future proof the machine for future software that might take advantage of hyperthreading, I am hoping to keep this maching 5 years.

frega

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
probably not but I am hoping for $170 will future proof the machine for future software that might take advantage of hyperthreading, I am hoping to keep this maching 5 years.
That's true. I kept my last machine for 5 years. This current one only lasted 2+...

Gotta keep upgrading for the sake of the GPUs + gaming.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Dec 10, 2004
the i7 is not only faster than the i5 now, but it will be faster for future use as well. It's really a no brainer. Unless you have to have a brand new computer. But Apple refurbs are completely solid and are as good as new.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.