Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 1, 2010, 01:09 PM   #1
hippyharry
macrumors regular

Visit to Florida..Need a sim card

Hi there.

Visiting Florida at end of August for 2 weeks. Rather than me using my UK sim while im there, I was thinking of getting a Pay as you go sim card while there just to keep data charges down and such.

I know its a holiday, but I like to play with Gowalla, so its more of something just to keep my costs down rather than using the O2 sim card ive got from the UK.

Its an iPhone 4 ive got, so, need a micro sim, or quite happy to get a mini sim, and I can cut it down myself with scissors.
hippyharry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 01:21 PM   #2
adster
macrumors regular

First, you need to make sure that your UK iPhone 4 is unlocked. I'm not sure if they are or not.

Second, you're probably going to need to get a Pre-Paid SIM here in the US. Here's a good thread for that:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=970663

But they say the data is quite expensive. Goodluck! Florida is nice!
adster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 01:27 PM   #3
hippyharry
macrumors regular

Yupp, its unlocked.

Bought it direct from Apple.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Irish Rose
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adster
First, you need to make sure that your UK iPhone 4 is unlocked. I'm not sure if they are or not.

Second, you're probably going to need to get a Pre-Paid SIM here in the US. Here's a good thread for that:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=970663

But they say the data is quite expensive. Goodluck! Florida is nice!
It is expensive, you are right. With AT&T, it's 100MB for $20.00.
Irish Rose is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 01:37 PM   #5
hippyharry
macrumors regular

That is crazy charges for data.

In the UK, for 5 per month with giffgaff, you get 100minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet (completely unlimited internet).

How the heck can the american companies charge so much?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 03:47 PM   #6
sloppygator2013
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyharry View Post

In the UK, for 5 per month with giffgaff, you get 100minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet (completely unlimited internet).

The reason you're coming to the US. The weather is great, people have nice teeth and the food choices are a little more than fish and chips.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 03:55 PM   #7
Deppe
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppygator2013 View Post
The reason you're coming to the US. The weather is great, people have nice teeth and the food choices are a little more than fish and chips.
So you are saying that the data charges are low in Alaska??
Deppe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Irish Rose
macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyharry

It's " prepaid", so pretty much the carriers can charge whatever they want. If customers want better rate plans, they need to sign up for a postpaid plan. However, in your case, this wouldn't work, as you are not going to be in the US for very long.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 04:29 PM   #9
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post

It's " prepaid", so pretty much the carriers can charge whatever they want. If customers want better rate plans, they need to sign up for a postpaid plan. However, in your case, this wouldn't work, as you are not going to be in the US for very long.
Yeah that's the exact point I was just going to back. Pre-paid prices are always much higher. Still lower than roaming though, and gives you the ability to dial locally without having to pay an arm and a leg.

Make sure you pack shorts, it's been incredibly hot here in FLA!
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:18 PM   #10
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rose View Post

That giffgaff tariff is actually prepaid too.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:44 AM   #11
eastercat
macrumors 68040

Pre-paid is usually used by the poor and people with bad credit. Of course, the lack of regulations in this country means the phone companies are free to screw over prepaid customers. It's the same case with mortgages and loans.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyharry View Post

Old Aug 7, 2010, 06:48 PM   #12
hippyharry
macrumors regular

Thats a hell of a statement to make that prepaid is for poor people.

Where earlier I had said that the Giffgaff deal, that is actually prepaid. Its better than most contracts available.

What about T-mobile? Do they have good data deals?
Old Aug 7, 2010, 07:00 PM   #13
Irish Rose
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippyharry
Thats a hell of a statement to make that prepaid is for poor people.

Where earlier I had said that the Giffgaff deal, that is actually prepaid. Its better than most contracts available.

What about T-mobile? Do they have good data deals?
No, T-Mobile does not.
Old Aug 8, 2010, 02:31 PM   #14
hippyharry
macrumors regular

Thats gutting

So my only choice is AT&T for $20 for 200mb data?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone