Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pharos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
So I happily came back from the Apple store with a shiny new iPhone 4, only to find out that the rear camera seems to be broken :mad:

I've seen reports about the shutter not opening, freezing, etc. Mine does all that , and when it does decides to work, it's a mess.

Tried a restore without backup, a hard reset, turning the phone off for several minutes, etc.

Now for the really weird thing: I slightly "squeezed" the phone in the area where the camera is located, and the problems seemed to magically fade away. Don't want to keep trying this though, I'm afraid I'll break the phone!

Did anyone here have a situation similar to mine? And if so, what did you do to fix it? Looks like a trip to the Genius bar is in order :(

See for yourself:

Attachments

• IMG_0001.PNG
    IMG_0001.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    871.5 KB · Views: 93

milerich

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
Looks like your last statement will be the solution.

Good luck at the Apple Store!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm having the same problem and squeezing gets it unstuck. Will try restoring tonight.

Pharos

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 22, 2009
I think the problem comes from the autofocus. I wish this problem would go away by itself, like the yellow discoloring from the display.

But even if it did go away, I guess I better go ask for a replacement while I still have this problem so I won't have to deal with more potential problems down the road.

Thanks guys!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.