Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Apr 22, 2011, 11:22 PM   #51
L I G H T I N G
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
Because for those of us that bought the iPhone when it came out, we know how awesome it feels. The iPhone is the best phone ever. I think only the iPhone 4 can scratch its heels.

Also it's called the iPhone not iPhone 2G.
so is it

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

or is it

iPhone
iPhone 2G
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
L I G H T I N G is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:20 AM   #52
Ke1ington
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by L I G H T I N G View Post
so is it

iPhone
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4

or is it

iPhone
iPhone 2G
iPhone 3G
iPhone 3GS
iPhone 4
The first. Some call the original "2G" for whatever reason.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 12:49 AM   #53
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

I keep my original 4GB iPhone around for three main uses:

1 - Alarm clock. I have my current phone (a 32GB iPhone 4) on my bedside table for my main alarm, and I have the same alarms set on the iPhone. Before I go to sleep, I set the iPhone on the floor and give it a shove so that it scoots over to some other part of the room. That way, in the morning, they both go off at the same time. The iPhone 4 wakes me up, and the iPhone annoys me, forcing me to actually get up and shut it up. Great way to get myself out of bed :P

2 - Travel phone. It's all unlocked and such, and it's nice to be able to throw any old foreign SIM in it and use an iPhone while traveling and not pay AT&T around $95879438754987 per minute.

3 - Pocket Unix box. Again, it's hacked. Because you never know when you might need that emergency Apache server or SSH terminal. It's actually come in quite handy an alarming number of times now.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 08:24 AM   #54
Apple 26.2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
Some people are just reluctant to upgrade and will stay on a single device for years, they are called Dinosaurs.

Weather you want to admit it or not, there is absolutely no justification to stay on the original iPhone.
Wow. Just wow.
Old Apr 23, 2011, 09:43 AM   #55
kevink2
macrumors 6502a

My first iPhone was the 3G since I ended up having to buy a phone a couple months before the original iPhone came out. And I was disappointed to read that it was only 2G capable. If I had bought the original, I probably would have waited until the 3GS.

The 3G, which I didn't have a case for, got a few cracks from drops. But otherwise worked fine. Except for a couple weeks after one drop when wifi didn't work.

The 4 was my next, and I am generally happy with it, except for some lingering proximity sensor issues. I have a case for it, which has absorbed some of the drops. The case is cracked, but the phone isn't.

It will take some fancy update in the phone this year for me to consider upgrading (minus something like washing/losing my current phone Like LTE.

I've spent too much on Apple products the last year to upgrade every year. Original iPad 3G, iPhone 4, then a Macbook Pro. Skipping the iPad 2, and plan to skip the 4S/5/whatever.
kevink2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2011, 10:05 AM   #56
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Some people just don't care.
Those people who were used to a razr or any one of those flip phones who just got a second hand iPhone are more than happy.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 02:25 AM   #57
Cash68
macrumors newbie

Simple. New ones don't justify the additional cost. I looked into it, many times. To get a similar plan for the iPhone4, it would cost me ~ $90 per month after taxes. That is $1080/year.

Now my original iPhone, which does everything I want it to (weather, maps, camera, photos, email, facebook, WRC app, ebay, craigslist, shazam, etc), but only costs ~$60 month to use. $720/year.

That's an extra $360 in my pocket, per year. That can buy a set of nice race tires, decent tool chest, etc. And it adds up. If I had upgraded to a 3GS in 2009 I'd have paid an extra $720 just to have slightly faster speeds, a higher res screen, and a better camera. No offense to newer users, but I haven't been impressed with the speeds it takes to download things, it still seems slow so I don't care if I wait a few more seconds if it already takes a few to begin with.
Cash68 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 02:51 AM   #58
sinophilia
macrumors regular

My wife is still using my 2007 iPhone and she loves it. I think the design is still the best one. Unfortunately it's started to act weird, showing stripes of all colors and rebooting every now and then, so she will get my 3Gs as soon as UPS brings me my iPhone 4 today (yes I'm into old hardware!! )
Old May 25, 2011, 05:57 AM   #59
autumntrees
macrumors newbie

1) It still works.
2) It bounces when I drop it (and see 1)

autumntrees is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 02:42 PM   #60
awadeee
macrumors 68020

The first iPhone is actually beautiful. In a rugged sort of way.

I recently bought one just to have and to use when I travel to avoid being tempted to use 3G (my foreign rates are $1.00/MB) and then learned the hard way that my carrier (Telus Canada) does not support GSM 2G/EDGE frequencies. Bought it for $50 (it had a cracked screen), sold it for $80. I was gonna originally use it as a music player for my car but since the headphone jack is sunk in, my L shaped tape-to-headphone-out wouldn't fit in it. Good phone though! Just wish I coulda used it!
Old May 25, 2011, 02:52 PM   #61
nburwell
macrumors 68000

I still have an old 2G iPhone sitting in my drawer at home. It shows a good amount of wear on it, but it's jailbroken and unlocked, so when I travel abroad, I would bring that with me over my 4. I turn it on once and awhile to play around with it. Still works flawlessly.
Old May 25, 2011, 03:42 PM   #62
Alaerian

I upgraded to a white iPhone 4 18 days ago. Until then, I was using my original EDGE iPhone.

Not a thing wrong with it, did everything I needed or wanted. Why should I upgrade and waste the money?
Alaerian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 03:50 PM   #63
nateo200
macrumors 68020

It has character Honestly if they offered the iPhone 3G on verizon I would have gotten it a year 2 years ago and still been using it. I'm honestly thinking of buying a 1st gen iPhone for like a collectors item and for use if I go over seas though I'm concerned about GSM being phased out. I'm planning on keeping my iPhone 4 for some time.
-Canon 550D, GoPro3 Black
nateo200 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 06:08 PM   #64
Jimmy James
macrumors 68000

Why use the original iPhone? Because it's already paid for.

Why still drive a 2007 model year vehicle?
Jimmy James is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:36 PM   #65
amagnet
macrumors newbie

Just a few weeks ago I did a complete format at install of whited00r on my 2g 4GB. Very cool free way to upgrade the OG 2g! I was using it on tmobile until a few months ago. Tmobile only can support edge on iphone anyway, why get a newer one unless you are changing service providers ( i'm on a droid x now waiting fro iphone 5 , LOL) I was going to sell it, but may hang on to it as a spare wi-fi only, apple remote, few gamwes etc. works great and battery life is still excellent!
amagnet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 12:43 PM   #66
BergerFan
macrumors 68010

I always loved the original iPhone's form factor. If only it was all aluminium(no plastic bottom), had the iPhone 4S' internals, screen and camera, it would be the perfect iPhone.
I had and sold both the 3G and 3GS and thought nothing of it.
I always regretted selling my original iPhone.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 02:31 PM   #67
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looon View Post
The lower classes disgust me with their old and inferior technology. I saw someone using an ibook g4 the other day at starbucks and my monocle almost fell out.
Don't you mean "at the country club"?
mrsir2009 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:34 PM   #68
mabaker
macrumors 6502a

The iPhone classic is just that - classic. It does everything I need: exchange, emails, Calendars, Apps. Plus the design is one of a kind. And it's fast as hell after some tweaking.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:49 PM   #69
cynics
macrumors 603

Cause it's a classic. It's like the og droid people just love them.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 05:53 PM   #70
riveting
macrumors 6502

I sold it not long time ago. I think it is a better phone than iphone 3g (of course apart from not being able to use 3g). It was so easy to unlock unlike any model afterwards. It was the most durable phone as well. It has the same speed as iphone 3g. In fact, it is usually faster because the latest OS for iphone is iOS 3.13 while the iphone 3g runs like crap if it is upgraded to iOS 4.
riveting is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 06:01 PM   #71
Anonymous Freak
macrumors 68040

If you don't have a need to use newer apps that require a newer OS than it will run, and don't use a lot of data on the go, it's still a GREAT phone/media device.

Just remember: A device will always do well what it did well when it was brand new. If you just need a voice phone, and want on-the-go media consumption (iPod features,) with the Internet access thrown in as a bonus, the original iPhone is still a good device.

20" Aluminum iMac 7,1 (mid-2007, Santa Rosa,) upgraded to 2.6 GHz Penryn, 6 GB RAM, 1 TB HD, 4 TB total external hard drive
Anonymous Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 07:44 PM   #72
B777Forevar
macrumors 6502a

the iPhone 2G has a solid design. You could throw that thing across the room and you can still use it.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 08:52 PM   #73
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ke1ington View Post
The first. Some call the original "2G" for whatever reason.
It could have been because the original iPhone operated on 2G networks and the iPhone 3G operated on 3G networks

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by riveting View Post
I sold it not long time ago. I think it is a better phone than iphone 3g (of course apart from not being able to use 3g). It was so easy to unlock unlike any model afterwards. It was the most durable phone as well. It has the same speed as iphone 3g. In fact, it is usually faster because the latest OS for iphone is iOS 3.13 while the iphone 3g runs like crap if it is upgraded to iOS 4.
It has the same speed as the iPhone 3G because the only improvement the iPhone 3G brought to the table was that it operated on 3G networks rather than 2G (so faster data speeds).
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2012, 09:15 PM   #74
Spectrum Abuser
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
It could have been because the original iPhone operated on 2G networks and the iPhone 3G operated on 3G networks

----------

It has the same speed as the iPhone 3G because the only improvement the iPhone 3G brought to the table was that it operated on 3G networks rather than 2G (so faster data speeds).
The iPhone 3G did have one other improvement minus the price reduction. It had a GPS chip inside of it. The original had to use cellular triangulation to give a rough estimate of your 'area'. But the UMTS/HSDPA radio was limited at a theoretical 3.6Mbps in the best conditions so the '3G' is more like basic broadband internet now.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 09:26 PM   #75
ct2k7
macrumors 603

I did an AppleCare replacement on my original iPhone.

I swear they made one just for me, as it was made less than 1 month when it was shipped to me.
ct2k7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone