Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:28 PM   #1
Hrothgar
macrumors regular

Can't Move Icons to Different Pages

A few days ago, I was able to rearrange the icons onto different pages. Now, I press and icon until they jiggle, but when I try to slide them to a different page, they just bounce back. I'm guessing that I turned something off, but can't find anything in settings for this. Any ideas?
Hrothgar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:38 PM   #2
fletch33
macrumors regular

Try holding it in portrait mode when you move them.
fletch33 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:00 PM   #3
Hrothgar
macrumors regular

Thanks, but that didn't work either.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:11 PM   #4
Don Kosak
macrumors 6502a

Hmm, haven't had that happen. I don't believe there is an option to lock the position of icons.

As an experiment, why don't you try moving the icons using iTunes.

Plug your iPad in, click on it in iTunes, then click on the Apps tab. You can drag and drop apps with your mouse to any page you want. Then click Apply (or Sync) to save the change to your iPad.

If they still don't move, the you might try powering all the way off (by pressing and holding the menu and power button until the red "slide to power off" switch appears.)

Good luck. Let us know if you figure out what happened.
Don Kosak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2010, 11:11 PM   #5
prot0type
macrumors regular

Tried powering off the iPad, then giving it another go?
prot0type is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 08:27 AM   #6
cakbar
macrumors regular

With my iPod Touch, I'm able to quickly slide the icons from one page to another. However, when I first got my iPad I was trying to quickly slide the apps from page to page and most of the time they were bouncing back. Somebody advised me to hold the app at the edge of the page, rather than trying to swipe it quickly. It worked.
Also, if you still can't do it, and you need to move some apps, clear a couple of spaces on the bottom bar and use that to move apps from page to page. This actually works great if you have a lot of app rearranging to do. Just clear the bottom bar of all the apps and you can move 6 at a time, without having to go back and forth.
cakbar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:09 AM   #7
Hrothgar
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakbar View Post
Somebody advised me to hold the app at the edge of the page, rather than trying to swipe it quickly. It worked.
That worked. Thanks.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:12 AM   #8
brn2ski00
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrothgar View Post
That worked. Thanks.
Yes, that was what I was going to suggest. That is the only way I have found to be effective.
brn2ski00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:42 AM   #9
mnh1126
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakbar View Post
With my iPod Touch, I'm able to quickly slide the icons from one page to another. However, when I first got my iPad I was trying to quickly slide the apps from page to page and most of the time they were bouncing back. Somebody advised me to hold the app at the edge of the page, rather than trying to swipe it quickly. It worked.
Also, if you still can't do it, and you need to move some apps, clear a couple of spaces on the bottom bar and use that to move apps from page to page. This actually works great if you have a lot of app rearranging to do. Just clear the bottom bar of all the apps and you can move 6 at a time, without having to go back and forth.
Thanksforthis reply!! It worked! I was def tryna move them over too fast.

Thanks!!
mnh1126 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad