Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benk3350

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
So today I was taking a walk and pulled out my iphone 4 and accidentally dropped. I didn't have a case cuz I was waiting for the free one to get to my house.

Anyway do you know what I can do? It's been over 30 days if that matters because I got it first day.

Is there anyway I can still sign up for some kind of coverage plan that would save me money for a replacement?

Aww man haha this really kind of sucks.

Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
So today I was taking a walk and pulled out my iphone 4 and accidentally dropped. I didn't have a case cuz I was waiting for the free one to get to my house.

Anyway do you know what I can do? It's been over 30 days if that matters because I got it first day.

Is there anyway I can still sign up for some kind of coverage plan that would save me money for a replacement?

the only thing you can do is take it to an apple store and they can get you a new one for $200.

adamt56

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010

At the Apple store, they will most likely replace it for that price that you originally paid.

Else, find the parts and fix it yourself.

http://www.zdnet.com/photos/cracking-open-the-apple-iphone-4/440148?seq=9&tag=mantle_skin;content

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
True, but spending $140 is much better than replacing the phone at cost. Also they only take 5 days or so process the claim and they pay for free overnight shipping.

very true but it also depends on what you do for a living lol. I know I could not be without my phone for 5 days due to my job responsibilities.

Alvi

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2008
Mars
You can't get an insurance once your product is already broken, Go to apple, they can probably fix it, but it won't be for free

slimfinity

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
Call apple or go to an apple store and be totally cool with them. Explain honestly what happened. They may replace it free of charge. I dropped mine and it shattered and they replaced it. Just be honest and cool with them. Explain the situation and ask if they would be willing to work with you. Other people on here have also gotten free replacements for the same thing. Not sure about after 30 days, but it's worth a shot.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
WTF is wrong with you people? He broke his phone and you're recommending he take out a Squaretrade plan after the fact. Where the hell do you all get this sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility?

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Unless I am mistaken you cannot fool Squaretrade like that. If you do not buy the insurance on day one you must wait 30 days before filing a claim. I remember something like this from checking it out when the iPad was released.

They are smart enough to realize people might try to sign up after they already took damage.

ratbatblue

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
WTF is wrong with you people? He broke his phone and you're recommending he take out a Squaretrade plan after the fact. Where the hell do you all get this sense of entitlement and lack of personal responsibility?

This.

Not even to mention the fact that Square Trade won't cover ADH claims until 30 days after you purchase the warranty, unless you bought it the same day you bought your phone.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA

moral or ethical considerations seem not to matter to these people.

so i recommend to look at it this way:

while there is a low chance to get caught you should realize that this is a felony. i don't think saving 200 bucks or so is worth a felony on your record.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
there's no coverage plan I can sign up for?

These coverage plans you speak about are for BEFORE you incur damage. So, basically, you're asking whether you can commit insurance fraud. Sure, go ahead, knock yourself out.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Car insurers require pics of a car to insure it unless it's brand new from the dealer.

My car insurance company didn't ask for (or take) pictures of my car when I had it insured both here and in Canada. And the car I'm driving was purchased from a private owner.

/just sayin'

But I do 100% agree with you on the main topic of this thread. WTF is wrong with you people?

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
My car insurance company didn't ask for (or take) pictures of my car when I had it insured both here and in Canada. And the car I'm driving was purchased from a private owner.

/just sayin'

But I do 100% agree with you on the main topic of this thread. WTF is wrong with you people?

With collision?

danno1769

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2010

I think people here are trying to help him. Put yourself in his shoes, Im sure you would look for the cheapest way to fix your phone as well. Not everyone is made out of money. Whats the difference between him signing up for insurance right now and making a claim in a month about his cracked screen as apposed to he cracks his screen in 1 month and calls about it the next day?

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think people here are trying to help him. Put yourself in his shoes, Im sure you would look for the cheapest way to fix your phone as well. Not everyone is made out of money. Whats the difference between him signing up for insurance right now and making a claim in a month about his cracked screen as apposed to he cracks his screen in 1 month and calls about it the next day?

The fact that if he lies to the insurance company he would be committing insurance fraud. Really?:rolleyes:

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
Whats the difference between him signing up for insurance right now and making a claim in a month about his cracked screen as apposed to he cracks his screen in 1 month and calls about it the next day?

I dunno...ethics? C'mon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.