Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks

Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:46 AM   #1
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
A hack for the 2gb data cap?

I was just wondering. Is it theoretically possible to make it so a jail broken iPhone doesn't know how much data it's using and therefore can't report it back to AT&T? This would be awesome and would make the 2gb cap irrelevant. With mywi and my3g, it would be great for people who don't have unlimited plans to be able to trick their phone.
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:47 AM   #2
ny2nctova
macrumors member

Hmm good idea, never say never
Old Aug 3, 2010, 12:47 AM   #3
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
I was just wondering. Is it theoretically possible to make it so a jail broken iPhone doesn't know how much data it's using and therefore can't report it back to AT&T? This would be awesome and would make the 2gb cap irrelevant. With mywi and my3g, it would be great for people who don't have unlimited plans to be able to trick their phone.
The iPhone doesn't report how much data it consumes. AT&T servers do that on their own when sending the data to your iPhone.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 01:00 AM   #4
Lefty29
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by likemyorbs View Post
If it were that easy, people would be robbing bandwidth through all kinds of services, silly!

Any ISP (AT&T included) meters what they send you from the server side, not from the local device.
Lefty29 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 01:05 AM   #5
likemyorbs
Banned

Send a message via AIM to likemyorbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty29 View Post
If it were that easy, people would be robbing bandwidth through all kinds of services, silly!

Any ISP (AT&T included) meters what they send you from the server side, not from the local device.
That is true! Well it was a good idea while it lasted...
likemyorbs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2010, 07:26 AM   #6
thelatinist
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2nctova View Post
Hmm good idea, never say never
Never.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks