Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
I was just wondering. Is it theoretically possible to make it so a jail broken iPhone doesn't know how much data it's using and therefore can't report it back to AT&T? This would be awesome and would make the 2gb cap irrelevant. With mywi and my3g, it would be great for people who don't have unlimited plans to be able to trick their phone.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I was just wondering. Is it theoretically possible to make it so a jail broken iPhone doesn't know how much data it's using and therefore can't report it back to AT&T? This would be awesome and would make the 2gb cap irrelevant. With mywi and my3g, it would be great for people who don't have unlimited plans to be able to trick their phone.

The iPhone doesn't report how much data it consumes. AT&T servers do that on their own when sending the data to your iPhone.

Lefty29

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010

If it were that easy, people would be robbing bandwidth through all kinds of services, silly!

Any ISP (AT&T included) meters what they send you from the server side, not from the local device.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
If it were that easy, people would be robbing bandwidth through all kinds of services, silly!

Any ISP (AT&T included) meters what they send you from the server side, not from the local device.
That is true! Well it was a good idea while it lasted...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.