Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Going to be traveling to Europe and was wondering what a good app is for sending text messages from Europe back to the US...either from the App Store or Cydia.

I want something where the receiver does not have to also have the app like is the case with textplus (I think).

Thanks.

dranakin

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2005
I'm a fan of Textfree. It actually gives you a 10-digit number that is designated as your texting "phone" number, so it'll work when sending to any carrier. Works fast over Wifi.

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
+1 for TextFree. I used it when I had an iPod Touch and it works great. You even get to have a choice much cooler alert tones than the iPhone.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Nice, thanks guys. I just got it and it looks great.

Am I correct in understand it only works over Wifi for the iPhone? Or does it work over EDGE/3G and if so, how does that get billed? What happens in another country if you are using their SIM?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
Nice, thanks guys. I just got it and it looks great.

Am I correct in understand it only works over Wifi for the iPhone? Or does it work over EDGE/3G and if so, how does that get billed? What happens in another country if you are using their SIM?

It should work over both wi-fi and the cellular data network. Since it's uses up data, you will be billed for data charges. But if you're stictly using wi-fi, then you shouldn't need to worry about data charges. Are your plans to only use your iPhone in "airplane" mode while in Europe and use free available wi-fi? Or are you purchasing a SIM over there and popping it in your iPhone?

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Ill be purchasing a SIM while over there with a local number. I wonder what their data rates are and how much data does a text message use?

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
That would be something you have to look up either online or when you get into the country you're flying into. Either way, I know it's cheaper than AT&T's international data plans, so you'll definitely be better off with the popping the European SIM into your phone.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
I've been before (Romania) and sending a text to the US using their SIM (Orange) was 25 cents per message if I remember correctly. I wonder if it will be cheaper using TextFree via their data.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
You can always try to Google cell phone providers in Romania and see what their rates are for data. I would imagine you would pay less using TextFree + their data rate instead of their text rate since you'd be essentially sending texts back here to the states.

HXGuy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
This is what I found for Orange Romania...

The Internet Mobile Access service is charged differently depending on the connecting technology (CSD / 3G / EDGE / GPRS).

Connecting over the CSD technology:

* charging is made for connection time
* charging unit: the first minute is indivisible while the following minutes are charged per second

Internet (545)
charging per connection time
(EUR/min) peak 0,04
off-peak 0,02

peak: Mondayi-Friday, 08:00-20:00;
off-peak: Monday-Friday, 20:00-08:00; anytime on Saturday andSunday

Connecting over the 3G / EDGE / GPRS technology:

* charging is made per traffic volume
* charging unit: KB (Kilo Byte)
o 1 KB = 1024 Bytes
o 1 MB = 1024 KB
o 1 Byte = 8 bits
* tariff per MB: 0.9 EUR

What is CSD technology? Does the iPhone even do that? I assume I will be over 3G/EDGE/GRPS so it looks like it's around $1.00/MB, give or take.

How much data does a text message use? I did a quick search and found a simply text email is around 20KB so can I assume a text is the same or less? If so, I should be able to send/receive ~50 text messages for $1.00.

In comparison, sending a text message from Romania to the US is $0.16 for outgoing and incoming are free of charge, so the same 50 messages (assuming 25 sent and 25 received would cost about $4.00).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.