Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 22, 2004, 02:13 PM   #1
federalists
macrumors member

cleaning b&w powermac

i was wondering how to disassemble the frosty case layer, since the underside of it is REALLY dirty. is there a way to do it without breaking it? i've removed the allen (hex) screws, but there seems to be a plastic post through the turquoise apple. how do i pry it off? any ideas?
federalists is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2004, 02:45 PM   #2
RGunner
macrumors 6502a

two things...

on the fold down side you must remove the logic board to access a pair of tabs to squeeze together (fairly easy once the board is removed).

on the stationary side, you should see same clips coming into the case right next to power supply (very center of case). again squeeze together and the sides pop off.

if all you are doing is cleaning... i would REALLY recommend not doing the logic board removal, too many things can go wrong.
RGunner is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:03 PM   #3
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040

Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
I think if you check AppleFritter.com they have some take apart instructions for G3 cases since people like to change the paint schemes. I think you are going to need a few hex wrenchs and a screw driver.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 03:05 PM   #4
zen_state
Banned

I have taken one apart before and its not that hard. you need the service manual. great to have when you come across something you're not sure how to go at.
zen_state is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2004, 04:08 PM   #5
federalists
macrumors member

thanks for all the help and resources. i just got done doing my complete clean, logic board and all. i've put together pc's before, so i know how to remove motherboards. and i only wish i had the owner's manual, i just got this off ebay for < $100 (rev 2 even!) what a steal.
federalists is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:40 PM   #6
Mechcozmo
macrumors 603

Linkety has all of the Apple Service manuals for anything. Who wants to tear apart a Color Classic? Or how about a Laser Writer 200?

Cmon... I know who you are....
You can scroll down now.
Mechcozmo is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2004, 09:19 PM   #7
point665
macrumors regular

Man they are easy as hell to take apart, no manual or anything needed. Damn Ive completely stripped 2 of them so far without ever looking at a howto. Common sense works. Ive also painted 2 of them for friends of my, both satisfied with the results, I dont want to unveil them yet because I will be entering them along with my own G3 mod into a contest....
point665 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers