Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
Hey guys. . this is a really simple thing. . and if "Preview" can do it then I'll do it myself if you can tell me how.

Basically I'm on the web and I need the images that I've linked at their exact size but without the white bits around.

I don't know how to explain. . .but the Sitar for example. . .it has a white box around it and I need exactly the shape of the sitar and nothing else (as it is going to be scrolling along a light blue background and will look silly with a white box around it).

http://www.tablasitar.com/images/1241176456p.jpg

http://www.waukinvnetcorp.com/myquiltgenie/images/hst_02.jpg (I need only the blue triangle of this. .. not the white bit).

This is the final image: http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/7038/pictureuz.png (I need only the outline of this. . .is it possible to make the bit between the handle transparent too as well as being 77pixels high?)

Can anyone help me with this?

Can I do this in preview with the scissors tool at all?

Thanks a lot for any help.

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
I found a few tutorials online and apparently I can use a free program called GIMP so don't need the help any more (not that anyone jumped to help lol).

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
That's because it's actually a non-trivial job to do well, especially the sitar image. You find that out when you try it yourself.

Gimp is good program, though the last time I tried it out it was not the easiest to learn. You might try asking on new thread what topics in the documentation you should read for the techniques you are going to need to know.

Good Luck.

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
for ******'s sake

you owe me $1,000 doll-hairs. Now.

ps: and if I misunderstood what you wanted, you still owe me $1,000 doll-hairs.

Attachments

• Lame.png
    Lame.png
    8.2 KB · Views: 933
  • Lamer.png
    Lamer.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 946
  • Lamest.png
    Lamest.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 958

Soundburst

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 4, 2006
OMG. Thanks. I did my own versions but they were crap - thanks for this :)

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
OMG. Thanks. I did my own versions but they were crap - thanks for this :)

yeah, well...I'm a little secret ****** and I left some sly white bits in your sitar. That's because a small part of me thinks you could have done the job in GIMP in like 2 nan0seconds and you would have learned more..but, for sures...you're welcome.

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
That's because a small part of me thinks you could have done the job in GIMP in like 2 nan0seconds and you would have learned more..but, for sures...you're welcome.

Seems that more and more people want a hand out these days. My reply would have been if you don't know how to do it and don't want to take the time to learn it, then you don't need it. Seriously, he is using those graphics on a website but doesn't know the fundamentals of how to clean up an image? Can't wait to see the website.

VictoriaStudent

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Seems that more and more people want a hand out these days. My reply would have been if you don't know how to do it and don't want to take the time to learn it, then you don't need it. Seriously, he is using those graphics on a website but doesn't know the fundamentals of how to clean up an image? Can't wait to see the website.

1) yes, I'm sure the site blows
2) Unless his background is white, the Sitar is less than perfect
3) I was utterly bored and it's 30 days before school starts. After a productive day, I still have hours of time to burn.

with all that...

4) So, much like I would burn money by giving it to a homeless guy on the street, I fulfilled his request.

but yeah, handouts? Come on folks!

I learned Photoshop, illustrator & all that crap in a computer lab in a university near a house I rented a room in. Piddling around in that lab got me a highly paid job down the line.

And that was BEFORE google existed. Now, with google...crap, you can google any question you have about any design aspect - design inception to print & in between..even how to make the holy grail of p-shop effects - flaming text.

mikelegacy

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
You do realize that there are free graphic's resource sites where there are dedicated forums for people to take your requests? I used to, but seeing that I'm a professional graphic designer now, no money, no design.

Rettom

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2010
You do realize that there are free graphic's resource sites where there are dedicated forums for people to take your requests? I used to, but seeing that I'm a professional graphic designer now, no money, no design.

Can you tell me the website?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.