Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion

Old Nov 22, 2004, 05:24 PM   #1
MacBytes
macrumors bot

Induce Act on Music Copyright Likely to Stall in Congress

Category: Tunes
Link: Induce Act on Music Copyright Likely to Stall in Congress
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2004, 03:42 AM   #2
Santaduck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Santaduck Send a message via AIM to Santaduck
It's good news to hear that this lobby is losing influence in Congress. I wonder what the real reason is? Their own children and grandchildren with iPods and P2P-downloaded music? Or a fundamental understanding that the entire notion of this market is inexorably changing?
Santaduck is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2004, 03:57 PM   #3
shamino
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santaduck
It's good news to hear that this lobby is losing influence in Congress. I wonder what the real reason is
I think the article guessed right. They're not losing influence, but they overreached with an insanely broad piece of legislation.

The induce act would make it illegal to manufacture or distribute any device that the RIAA thinks might make someone want to pirate content.

Which means manufacturers and resellers of VCRs, cassette recorders, scanners, CD-RW drives, MP3 players, photocopiers, modems, and just about everything else would be liable.

In other words, the RIAA tried to make most of the country's manufacturing and retail industries illegal with a single law.

I should hope that even the RIAA-controlled Congress could see the problem with this law!
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:23 PM   #4
macnulty
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to macnulty
RIAA over reached but I also think they are losing influence, the natural tendency for cartels to lose influence over time.
macnulty is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2004, 03:52 AM   #5
Santaduck
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to Santaduck Send a message via AIM to Santaduck
ah ok that makes sense... and their over-reaching has possibly permanently marred the credibility (highlighting their being out-of-touch with reality), and therefore their future influence.
Santaduck is offline   0
Old Nov 27, 2004, 08:45 AM   #6
iMeowbot
macrumors 601

It doesn't really look like a sea change. Entertainment tries to get something banned, manufacturers get it killed, then entertainment comes back with a "compromise" version involving some kind of payment. That's been the pattern for 30+ years now.
iMeowbot is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > MacBytes.com News Discussion