Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chelseasian

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2004
New York, NY (Chelsea)
Okay- i know this is going to sound tad dramatic. Last week i ranted how Fedex lost my G5. So on Thursday Apple re-issued a new machine to me and have it expedited overnight. Based on the tracking number issued to me, I should receive the package today around 3PM according to fedex's website. I took a day off work and waited at home. It is now almost 6PM and still no Fedex vehicle. So i called Fedex and they said that they have received the electronic data but have yet to receive the actual package. I called Apple. They said that they have shipped out the package and it seems that Fedex have yet to pick it up.

This is bloody annoying!

As i look into the history of my order, I realised this. The order for the computer was placed on October 28. Today is November 22. It has been 25 days since and I am now beginning to wonder if I will ever get my G5.

Given the grief, I am thinking that i am on a nervous breakdown sooner or later.

AVOID doing business with FED-BLOODY-EX if you can. :(

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
That's the problem with shipping at these companies, as soon as the label is slapped on the package -- it's shipped.

But it may sit on the dock, or take a day or two to get there -- depending on how organized they are.

Yes it's overnight, next day, 3-day -- once it's picked up.

Though you may need to wait a day or two for the clock to start ticking.

---

Should get a little worse as more stuff get shipped off to sorting stations to be processed for ground transport (aka, trains) as they try to save on fuel costs and shift stuff from trucks to the trains.

zaphoyd

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2002
Wisconsin/Illinois
similar troubles

I have had issues with fed-ex this week too. a week ago (monday 15th) my father ordered an iMac G5 for the family. He ordered the fastest shipping option, the $35 2 day shipping. After build to ordering it for a bit apple finally shipping it saturday morning.

Fed-Ex claims they will deliver it a week from today, (they will have it a total of 9 days (4 of which are regular weekday business days and 2 are saturdays) is that $35 2 day shipping??

They haven't lost it yet, but it hasnt moved out of china since they got it, it has just been shuffled around internally for a saturday and an entire weekday business day. This is just absurd.

anyone had luck with calling them and finding our where you shipment is, or why they are taking such an incredibly long time?

Also is there any way to get the $35 shipping fee refunded if they do end up taking 9 days to deliver it? who would you talk to, apple or fed-ex?
-Peter

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
Fed Ex sucks for home delivery. Send something to a business and you'll have no issues. I have had vast experience with them on the home delivery side and have mountains of customer complaints to prove it. This is the reason DHL and UPS will kick their rear ends when it comes to home delivery. I would suggest that you demand of Apple shipping from another carrier. The service you are receiving is unacceptable.

palusami

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2004
san jose, ca
mojohanna said:
Fed Ex sucks for home delivery. Send something to a business and you'll have no issues. I have had vast experience with them on the home delivery side and have mountains of customer complaints to prove it. This is the reason DHL and UPS will kick their rear ends when it comes to home delivery. I would suggest that you demand of Apple shipping from another carrier. The service you are receiving is unacceptable.

exactly! i usually have all my stuff sent to work just because of this!

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
Why some one would buy something from Apple when you can get the same thing with extra ram and a printer from another company for the same price?

By the way missing a G5 is not a big deal, read my signature.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
get a private mail box that is authorized to recieve fedex,ups,dhl,usps packages. they aren't that expensive, and if you buy a lot of stuff online someone will be always there to sign for you packages, and you just have to check it ever once and while after work. all of the places that have private mailboxes i.e. mailbox etc. call you when they sign and recieve a package. imho these are better than p.o. boxes because you can recieve shipments from all the major shipping services.

applekid

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2003
superbovine said:
get a private mail box that is authorized to recieve fedex,ups,dhl,usps packages. they aren't that expensive, and if you buy a lot of stuff online someone will be always there to sign for you packages, and you just have to check it ever once and while after work. all of the places that have private mailboxes i.e. mailbox etc. call you when they sign and recieve a package. imho these are better than p.o. boxes because you can recieve shipments from all the major shipping services.

Could you name some companies that provide private mailboxes? I can't seem to find it on the USPS website, so I assume it's something done by other companies,

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
superbovine said:
This is a good suggestion. However, a mail order company concerned about fraud will most likely not ship to a Mailboxes, Etc. or the like. It's too easy for them to get ripped off that way.

timnosenzo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
ct, us
mymemory said:
Why some one would buy something from Apple when you can get the same thing with extra ram and a printer from another company for the same price?

Hm, you're right. This is helpful. :rolleyes:

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Fedex Delivery

mymemory said:

Actually, you can get a free Epson printer from Apple with a G5 purchase as well. It's a national promotion no matter what the vendor. As far as extra Ram, that didn't help me any as I have the educational discount and it comes out pretty much the same.

I've been trying to track my package from Fedex and there have been no updates since the 19th when it left Anaheim. Not sure what that is all about. UPS tracking tells you where it is at all times. Hopefully it won't be late.. :confused:

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Why would a tracking page say something is going to be delivered before it is even picked up? Not like a big shipping giant's computer to make a mistake like that.... Oh thats right, they passed up the opportunity to use Macs. :rolleyes:

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
nosen said:
This is a good suggestion. However, a mail order company concerned about fraud will most likely not ship to a Mailboxes, Etc. or the like. It's too easy for them to get ripped off that way.

i've had a mailbox etc addressES for years. never had a problem. actually, the only reason i do is to recieve shipments because package get stolen from my door. another thing you don't realize is you can't address you package to mailbox etc. you address you box to the address and suit number of the mail box etc. the sender will NOT know if it is a private mailbox, because the address will look like a standard business address. they won't think twice.

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
applekid said:
Could you name some companies that provide private mailboxes? I can't seem to find it on the USPS website, so I assume it's something done by other companies,

UPS has em in their store i believe, but doubt they let fedex or DHL in their stores. the biggest chain is MailBox Etc. depending on your location will depend on the price. they are usually their own store or a part of a print shop of some type. there is also a lot of smaller local chains you can find too. if you just drive around shopping centers you can probably spot a sign that says "private mailbox". mailbox etc. is the biggest and i would say trustworthy places.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
I'm with everybody else here--FexEx will get it there if you've got a business, but their B2C service sucks. Unhelpful delivery guys, innacurate online tracking information, and rarely seem to get there in a timely fashion. I only wish Apple would give you the option of using UPS like most places do--I'd pay the extra for that in almost every case.

Just last week I had two pacakges delivered from Apple. The first was delivered to my landlord, but the delivery guy didn't bother to leave a note on the door so I didn't find out about it until the guy dropped it by two days later, and the second was "out for delivery" for a full day before somebody actually got it to my house. And that was *with* the faster shipping option!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Makosuke said:
I'm with everybody else here--FexEx will get it there if you've got a business, but their B2C service sucks. Unhelpful delivery guys, innacurate online tracking information, and rarely seem to get there in a timely fashion. I only wish Apple would give you the option of using UPS like most places do--I'd pay the extra for that in almost every case.

Just last week I had two pacakges delivered from Apple. The first was delivered to my landlord, but the delivery guy didn't bother to leave a note on the door so I didn't find out about it until the guy dropped it by two days later, and the second was "out for delivery" for a full day before somebody actually got it to my house. And that was *with* the faster shipping option!

Never had a problem with FedEx delivering to my home. Now UPS sucks big time on that. In my case I have a FedEx facility just a few miles away, so easy pickup if I miss the driver.

mislabeledstar

macrumors regular
May 12, 2003
Los Angeles
Here's the deal with Fed-Ex and Fed-Ex Home Delivery. Fed-Ex is a solid company, but a few years ago they acquired another shipping company known as RPS. I used to work in a shipping dept of two different companies and we both used RPS only when we weren't overly worried about when a packaged arrived and the package could get junked around a little and damage the contents inside, anything that actually mattered we sent via UPS.

Fed-Ex bought a crappy delivery company, slapped a new label on the outsie (Fed-Ex Home Delivery) but kept giving the same kind of crappy service that RPS was known for.

I've complained to Apple before about their use of Fed-Ex Home Delivery service.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
mislabeledstar said:
Here's the deal with Fed-Ex and Fed-Ex Home Delivery. Fed-Ex is a solid company, but a few years ago they acquired another shipping company known as RPS. I used to work in a shipping dept of two different companies and we both used RPS only when we weren't overly worried about when a packaged arrived and the package could get junked around a little and damage the contents inside, anything that actually mattered we sent via UPS.

Fed-Ex bought a crappy delivery company, slapped a new label on the outsie (Fed-Ex Home Delivery) but kept giving the same kind of crappy service that RPS was known for.

I've complained to Apple before about their use of Fed-Ex Home Delivery service.

I wonder if it is possible to claim a home address as a business address to get the better delivery service?

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
I wonder if it is possible to claim a home address as a business address to get the better delivery service?

that is an interesting idea. i think it would depend on your location because in a small town like the one i went to college in there isn't all the different fedex/home delivery there is just one fedex. however, in a larger city it might work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.