Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

055246-us101.jpg

The first iPhone 4 unlocking tool has been released. Version 1.0-1 of ultrasn0w provides iPhone 4, 3G and 3GS owners the ability to carrier unlock their iPhone to work across multiple providers.

While in some countries customers may be able to buy unlocked iPhones, most iPhones come locked to the specific mobile carrier. The process of "unlocking" the iPhone allows you to use the same phone across other GSM mobile phone carriers. In the U.S., however, options for alternative carriers are limited as T-Mobile is the only other GSM-based carrier and they do not even support the iPhone's 3G data network. In order to unlock your iPhone, you must first be Jailbroken.

Users should, of course, proceed at their own risk, as none of these procedures are sanctioned by Apple who warns that any issues caused by these procedures could violate your warranty.

Article Link: iPhone 4 Unlocking Tool Now Available

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
While jailbreaking is legal, unlocking isn't...

But for us people who have to buy the iPhone 4 in another country and use it in a country where it isn't available, there is no other way but to unlock it!

DELTAsnake

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2008
Australia
A third party unlocking tool isn't necessary if your in a country like Australia where the carriers are required to unlock phones. Here you just call up your carrier and ask them to unlock it for you and they have to do it. Just did it today to get maximum dollars when I sell my 3GS.

Morky

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
NYC
Can you get a micro sim from T-Mobile? Up until now, a T-Mobile user could just pop out her sim and put it into an unlocked iPhone, and Bob's your uncle. What would you need to do now?

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
This couldn't come at a better time... I'm going international in a WEEK!!!! YAY :D:D

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
A third party unlocking tool isn't necessary if your in a country like Australia where the carriers are required to unlock phones. Here you just call up your carrier and ask them to unlock it for you and they have to do it. Just did it today to get maximum dollars when I sell my 3GS.

That's awesome, I hope Europe follows sometime soon... But doesn't it then make the prices of subsidised devices much higher, since carriers can no longer rely on the fact that users will stay loyal to the given carrier?

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
:D at Americans not being able to buy unlocked phones. How's that hefty monthly contract feel as well :p

I'll just pay cash again like last time.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
Can you get a micro sim from T-Mobile? Up until now, a T-Mobile user could just pop out her sim and put it into an unlocked iPhone, and Bob's your uncle. What would you need to do now?

cut the old SIM with scissors to uSIM size.

jordand321

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2008
New Zealand
I would hate to have a non factory unlocked iPhone. All the iPhones in New Zealand are factory unlocked and they can be used on every network here :D

BlondeBuddhist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2010
because you can now use your phone?

Ha.. A serial tweeter would think so. However having wifi would suffice. When, and notice the usage of when and not if, but when I go to Europe, I won't be making any calls I don't have too. Perhaps a, "yeA mom I made it", but that's it.

Blonde Buddhist

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
When, and notice the usage of when and not if, but when I go to Europe, I won't be making any calls I don't have too. Perhaps a, "yeA mom I made it", but that's it.

Blonde Buddhist

IMHO, the best thing about traveling is disconnecting ... it is a vacation after all. Getting lost is part of the fun :D

And what's the big deal with the when/if :confused:

Carthag

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2006
That's awesome, I hope Europe follows sometime soon... But doesn't it then make the prices of subsidised devices much higher, since carriers can no longer rely on the fact that users will stay loyal to the given carrier?

At least in Denmark they have to provide unlocks as well after 6 months (for free too, you may be charged a fee if it's less than 6 months since you entered the contract).

KJ500

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2010
:D at Americans not being able to buy unlocked phones. How's that hefty monthly contract feel as well :p

I'll just pay cash again like last time.

Hey, don't laugh at us foreigner! We have brilliant, stable financial institutions AND American Idol so:p

Arbaz

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2007
Norway
What does the encircled lock icon (to the left of battery %) on the screenshot signify? It's the first time I see it.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2003
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5cvPyVGzgU

Did what this video instructed. That was soooooooooooooooo easy!

Now i need to find a SIM and cut to test.

*EDIT* is there anyway to tell if my iPhone 4 is unlocked without testing with another carriers SIM?

The only spare SIM i had was a deactivated Philippines SIM... So i am assuming that since the iPhone recognizes it, i am officially unlocked?

Notice the "AT&T 7.0" and "Globe 7.0"

unlock1.jpg

unlock2.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.