Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kylejc86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
Hi people,

I was pretty bored last night so I converted loads of my normal icon apps to retina versions so that my phone finally looks the way it was intended.

I was wondering if there are others doing this and if we should share the icons so people with iPhone 4,s can look at there screen without seeing those old hideous icons?

Here are some pics of my phone with the retina icons let me know what you think and if people want them I will upload the icons somewhere.

http://twitpic.com/photos/kylejc86

Enjoy

D-Love

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hi people,

I was pretty bored last night so I converted loads of my normal icon apps to retina versions so that my phone finally looks the way it was intended.

I was wondering if there are others doing this and if we should share the icons so people with iPhone 4,s can look at there screen without seeing those old hideous icons?

Here are some pics of my phone with the retina icons let me know what you think and if people want them I will upload the icons somewhere.

http://twitpic.com/photos/kylejc86

Enjoy
How did you do this?

sheppy1

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2008
How did you do this?

He says how he did it on that link..."To get these looking so good I just took the iTunes artwork out of the apps and scaled it to 114x114 from the 512x512 original and replaced it with the iPhone icon and resprung :)"

They look great mate, when I get a bit of free time I shall do it with my icons too because those that haven't been updated for the retina display look awful

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
So to be a little more detailed,
You took the images from the iTunes Store? or just the App artwork itself?
Then resized them to 114x114
Then pasted them back .... where? back to the App artwork?

Sorry I'm not around my computer so I can't visualize it.

kylejc86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
After jailbreaking my iPhone 4 I downloaded ifile so I could access the applications folder on my iPhone located at /var/mobile/Applications/ I then went into each application folder and i copied the file called iTunesArtwork into the documents folder in my good reader app so that I could copy the iTunesArtwork files over to my mac to resize them, this can all be skipped if you ssh into your iPhone to collect the files I just used ifile because the missus was watching dexter on the laptop.

Anyway when you have all the iTunesArtwork files on your pc just ad .png onto the filename and resize them with whatever photo editing software you use I just used preview on the mac to resize it to 114x114 I then saved the image and when copying it back to your iPhone you have to replace this file with the app icon file which is always found in the .app folder within the application folder and most of the time the app icon is called Icon.png or if it's not this open the info.plist file and it will tell you what the icon file is called. After you have replaced the icon file with the one you have made respring your phone and then enjoy that beautiful icon on that amazing screen.

Hope this made sense as I am typing this secretly under the desk at work lol

digitalduck

macrumors regular
May 8, 2008
Great job Kyle... i will bust out my photoshop and do this when I get home...are you planning on sharing those icons you made?

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
After jailbreaking my iPhone 4 I downloaded ifile so I could access the applications folder on my iPhone located at /var/mobile/Applications/ I then went into each application folder and i copied the file called iTunesArtwork into the documents folder in my good reader app so that I could copy the iTunesArtwork files over to my mac to resize them, this can all be skipped if you ssh into your iPhone to collect the files I just used ifile because the missus was watching dexter on the laptop.

Anyway when you have all the iTunesArtwork files on your pc just ad .png onto the filename and resize them with whatever photo editing software you use I just used preview on the mac to resize it to 114x114 I then saved the image and when copying it back to your iPhone you have to replace this file with the app icon file which is always found in the .app folder within the application folder and most of the time the app icon is called Icon.png or if it's not this open the info.plist file and it will tell you what the icon file is called. After you have replaced the icon file with the one you have made respring your phone and then enjoy that beautiful icon on that amazing screen.

Hope this made sense as I am typing this secretly under the desk at work lol

Thanks! And don't get caught!

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
This was brilliant. Now all I need is a higher res SBSettings iPhone theme as well as notifier icons :D

There is minimalistic sleek sbsettings theme in cydia and the best IMO, iNzoSB over at macthemes.
http://www.macthemes.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16805026

This idea of resizing icons is ingenious btw. Just a tip though you might want to save duplicates somewhere on your phone so you can drop them in quickly with iFile in case there is an app update that replaces the icon.

kylejc86

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 27, 2010
When I get back from work I will upload them for you guys and yeah it is a good idea about keeping them in a folder on your phone incase of updates to apps this is why I have them safe and sound in my good reader app lol :)

HT UK

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
West Midlands, England
Here's a zip file of over 60 icons for iPhone 4:

1z4ljyq.png

http://www.mediafire.com/?odmo751rsyygy1y

Feel free to download the zip file, add your icons to it, and then re-upload it. We can try and get as many as possible in one file.

Notes:

* All files should be renamed to "icon" or "Icon", apart from the ones already renamed to something different than the App name.
* "Icon" and "icon" are two different files, so make sure you replace whichever one was there, and don't end up with two.
* If there is another App Icon like icon57x57, or icon-ipad etc, delete those.
* Be sure to backup anything you replace, incase anything goes wrong, but I can't see what could mess up tbh.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Mods, you need to make this topic a sticky. No longer do we have to wait for developers to update their icons for retina display. FINALLY! :)

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
How do you select what size you want in Preview? Also, how do you change the extension from jpg to png?

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
What do you do if the icon isn't labeled "icon"? I've run into several of my apps in which this is the case. When I find file names I think might be the icon, it says "preview not available", so I don't know how I'd check

anonymous6237

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Plano, TX
What do you do if the icon isn't labeled "icon"? I've run into several of my apps in which this is the case. When I find file names I think might be the icon, it says "preview not available", so I don't know how I'd check

Many apps are not organized like the default apple apps. Also, most pngs on your phone are encoded in a way that a pc/mac cannot read them. If using windows you can use this tool to convert to a readable png: http://www.newsfirerss.com/blog/?p=176 (Don't worry about converting back as your iphone can read both formats).

For a couple apps I've had to go as far as to copy all the pngs to my computer and convert them all just to figure out which png is the correct one.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.