Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:25 PM   #1
Merlin005
macrumors newbie

4 gb limit on MS-DOS format

When trying to copy a large file to an MS -DOS formatted drive there seems to be a 4 GB limit to the allowable file size. Is there a way of overcoming this limit. or does anyone have a work around, other than breaking up the file into smaller chunks. Thanks

Merlin
Merlin005 is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:34 PM   #2
locovaca
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin005
When trying to copy a large file to an MS -DOS formatted drive there seems to be a 4 GB limit to the allowable file size. Is there a way of overcoming this limit. or does anyone have a work around, other than breaking up the file into smaller chunks. Thanks

Merlin
The 4GB is a limit of FAT-32, and is not present in NTFS. Unfortunately, I do not believe you can mount and write NTFS on OS X. So, the only option I can think of is reformatting the disk to NTFS, mounting it on a Windows machine, and then doing things over a network.
locovaca is offline   0
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:03 PM   #3
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

Stuffit Deluxe 9 has a feature to split an archive across multiple segment sizes of your choice. I have been very happy with this program. I was surprised FAT32 allows up to 4GB files. I would have thought it would be limited to 2GB files. I have forced all my PCs to use the Mac filesystem by installing a Addon program that allows Windows to read Mac filesystems.

Stuffit Deluxe 9 Link:
http://www.stuffit.com/win/deluxe/index.html
BornAgainMac is offline   0
Old Nov 23, 2004, 08:15 AM   #4
locovaca
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainMac
Stuffit Deluxe 9 has a feature to split an archive across multiple segment sizes of your choice. I have been very happy with this program. I was surprised FAT32 allows up to 4GB files. I would have thought it would be limited to 2GB files. I have forced all my PCs to use the Mac filesystem by installing a Addon program that allows Windows to read Mac filesystems.

Stuffit Deluxe 9 Link:
http://www.stuffit.com/win/deluxe/index.html
FAT32, as the name would indicate, uses (unsigned) 32 bit data structures to point to data. 2^32 ~= 4 GB.
locovaca is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers