Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games

Old Aug 19, 2002, 06:12 PM   #1
jadam
macrumors 6502a

PSX emulator For OSX

how many of you would like me to port PCSX 1.3 to OSX?

www.pcsx.net

my current project is pocketsx.ngemu.com but soon after thats updated and running a bit faster, ill be free and im wondering as CVGS has crappy graphics and only runs under OS9

Last edited by jadam; Aug 22, 2002 at 12:08 AM.
jadam is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2002, 06:52 PM   #2
solvs
macrumors 601

CVGS was cool, but discontinued after Sony's lawyers got involved. Plus compatibility was an issue, some sound problems.

There was supposed to be a legal version of a PSX emulator, but I haven't heard anything since.

So if you want to try, go for it. There are plenty of resources available on the net. Look into the GameShark if you haven't yet.

Just watch out for Sony's lawyers.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 08:48 PM   #3
D0ct0rteeth
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via MSN to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via Yahoo to D0ct0rteeth Send a message via Skype™ to D0ct0rteeth
im definitly interested.

add me to the list.. im sure there will be some people all for donating some coin if your serious.
Old Aug 19, 2002, 09:33 PM   #4
MacMaster
macrumors 6502

it's .net

http://www.pcsx.net/
MacMaster is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2002, 09:55 PM   #5
mac15
macrumors 68040

yes please, I would love it since I still have alot of ps1 games, even though I have a ps2 , but my computer gets more attention than my PS

so bring it on
mac15 is offline   0
Old Aug 19, 2002, 10:24 PM   #6
admiraldennis
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to admiraldennis
I'm an excellent beta tester!

[Just re-registered... first post!]

That would be great! There is a PSX emulator already for osx, but it requires a BIOS ROM of the psx, and it's pretty slow and the audio is choppy, and most games won't play. Plus the site and app are in Japanese. (http://www.cronos.ne.jp/~y2510/cgi/g...are/flarestorm).

If you need beta/alpha testers, I'll be one. I've done beta/alpha testing for various companies and people, including Ambrosia SW. I provide pretty detailed bug reports. Email me at admirald@sourcecod.com.
admiraldennis is offline   0
Old Aug 20, 2002, 06:06 PM   #7
FattyMembrane
macrumors 6502a

i've been waiting for an osx playstation emulator for a long time and i'm sad to hear that flarestorm is slow and buggy (i was really looking forward to a cocoa psx emulator!) i would definitely urge you to port pcsx as i am sure there would be legions of mac users singing your praises. i'd offer my services, but "hello world" is about as far as i got in programming
FattyMembrane is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:19 PM   #8
jadam
macrumors 6502a

WOW, all the positive replys!! thanks, i ask in mac irc channels and everyone goes why do i need a PSX emulator for OSX?!?!?!??!?!?!?

anyhoo, right now im busy working on getting PEOPS to work on my pocketpc, but im going to give it a go soon and see what happens. Im sure i could easily do a recompile for OSX with XDarwin, but cocoa is much more preferible.

btw, my(and r0bs) current port of pcsx is to pocketpcs pocketsx.ngemu.com

Last edited by jadam; Aug 22, 2002 at 12:10 AM.
jadam is offline   0
Old Aug 21, 2002, 10:35 PM   #9
MacUser1
macrumors 6502

nice

great, i would love to have a Playstation emulator for OS X
Old Aug 22, 2002, 09:26 AM   #10
admiraldennis
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to admiraldennis
Woah!

Quote:
Originally posted by jadam
WOW, all the positive replys!! thanks, i ask in mac irc channels and everyone goes why do i need a PSX emulator for OSX?!?!?!??!?!?!?
That's weird. You must've gone to #maclamers

Quote:
anyhoo, right now im busy working on getting PEOPS to work on my pocketpc, but im going to give it a go soon and see what happens. Im sure i could easily do a recompile for OSX with XDarwin, but cocoa is much more preferible.

btw, my(and r0bs) current port of pcsx is to pocketpcs pocketsx.ngemu.com
Holy crap! You actually ported a PSX Emulator to PocketPC!? That's maddness! How does it run? If you can get decent gameplay out of those little processers, I'm just imagining what you can do with my dual G4 setup....

Also-Could you do a recompile for XDarwin first (Just because it is easy and we get to try it out), and then cocoa when you get more time/a little bit later? That would be cool....

Last edited by admiraldennis; Aug 22, 2002 at 09:28 AM.
admiraldennis is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:55 PM   #11
jadam
macrumors 6502a

yeah, thats what i was thinking about doing at first but i need to download the xf86 libraries/headers for XDarwin, then i can just do a recompile.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 12:59 PM   #12
jadam
macrumors 6502a

well our first version of PocketSX wasnt sooo good, because we were using fpse .08 sources and couldnt get .09 so thats why we switched to PCSX. In 2d games though we can get very good speeds around 15-40fps thats with the old release, the new one is MUCH faster, but 3d games were only running at 3fps before, the new release should be much better which should be around 10-25fps in 3d and near full speed in 2d games as teh GTE wouldnt have to be emulated for those 3d games. and right now its using an interpreter until i finish writing a dynamic recompiler.

ohh yeah, i dont know if the emu would run incredibly fast at first, it might or might not, thats mainly because it would be using an interpreter for the r3000i, but then again the r3000i isnt any kind of beast and would run fast even without a dynamic recompiler.

well i will try really soon.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 01:42 PM   #13
daveg5
macrumors 6502a

Dreamcast Instead?

I would love a dreamcast instead
The graphics are already anti-alias and the sports games are great
Not only that the games if found are 1-10 dollars
And since sega is still producing dreamcast as sony is still producing psx1
You shauld not have to worry about lawsuits.
daveg5 is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2002, 01:44 PM   #14
daveg5
macrumors 6502a

Re: Dreamcast Instead?

Quote:
Originally posted by daveg5
I meant "Sega is not producing" dreamcast anymore
daveg5 is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2002, 02:03 PM   #15
topicolo
macrumors 68000

hey jadam, how do you load a psx image onto a pockepc? do you have to get a 512mb compactflash card?
Old Aug 22, 2002, 02:14 PM   #16
jadam
macrumors 6502a

Re: Dreamcast Instead?

Quote:
Originally posted by daveg5
heh, one thing you should know is that DreamCast emulators are pure bitches to write, there are NONE for PCs and the only reason why is because of the graphics card. No one has yet to find a proper way to reproduce the TileBased renderer that the PowerVR2DC uses. and there are tons of psx emus for pcs, and i dont see sony sueing those people. Well Lawsuits isnt the problem, its the fact that it would be very hard to emulate a Dreamcast.

how do you fit the games on a pocketpc, well, see PSX games use XA audio and MPEG1 type video, now the MPEG1 is HIGHLY uncompressed, the same with XA audio, XA audio is just like CD music, compare a 35mb CD file to a 3mb mp4 file. now lets use ff7 as an example, if you remove the videos from ff7(it doesnt have any XA audio just midi style music) you get a 120 or so mb iso, now doesnt that shock you? considering ff7 was 3 CDs!! if ff7 was made for ps2 using MPEG2 or MPEG4/DivX for the video, it would fit on just 1 cd! PSX is an old system remember that, MPEG1 was the thing back when it was made and MPEG2 would have been to system resource intensive to use.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 02:20 PM   #17
daveg5
macrumors 6502a

Thanks did not know that
I guess dreamcast is out
daveg5 is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2002, 03:04 PM   #18
firewire2001
macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Dreamcast Instead?

mostly the reason cvgs was sued is cause they sold it as software.. among other things..

has anyone tried running the linux version on os x?... (using xdarwin.. etc)

-f
firewire2001 is offline   0
Old Aug 22, 2002, 03:57 PM   #19
jadam
macrumors 6502a

thats impossible as its an x86 binary.
Old Aug 22, 2002, 04:37 PM   #20
Solidus
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Solidus
Go for it! ...I still have some golden stuff like Xenogears that never came to europe to play...would be great with an emulator for OSX since my PS is unable to play them...
Besides, it's interesting to see if it works...

Hmmm....you were talking about MPEG1 and XA audio...I came to think about this thing I've been looking for for a while now. Do any of you know if there's a way to rip the STR files from PS CD:s on a mac...I haven't seen any app for it...
They're kind of fun to watch...:P

///solidfox
Old Aug 22, 2002, 09:41 PM   #21
dnte42
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to dnte42
It would be nice to have an emulator for the poor student without a tv. It would be nice to be able to play some of the EA sports games, but if all else fails, a little Final Fantasy Tactics would be sweet.
dnte42 is offline   0
Old Aug 29, 2002, 12:12 PM   #22
FattyMembrane
macrumors 6502a

does anyone know if pcsx uses opengl or hardware rendering for drawing graphics to the screen and what kind of resolutions you can use for gameplay? i checked the flarestorm site today and it has not been updated in over a month (not to mention it still does not offer cd support). if jadam can get this working it would be the only usable emulator under osx and i, for one, would be thrilled.
Old Aug 29, 2002, 06:56 PM   #23
bidge
macrumors 6502

I'm all for it, if you make a mailing list add me to it.

rbijl@mac.com
bidge is offline   0
Old Aug 30, 2002, 09:10 AM   #24
Solidus
macrumors newbie

Send a message via ICQ to Solidus
Quote:
Originally posted by FattyMembrane
does anyone know if pcsx uses opengl or hardware rendering for drawing graphics to the screen and what kind of resolutions you can use for gameplay? i checked the flarestorm site today and it has not been updated in over a month (not to mention it still does not offer cd support). if jadam can get this working it would be the only usable emulator under osx and i, for one, would be thrilled.
About the flarestorm: To think that it was developed by one person alone I think it's progress has been rather fast.
I think it's been a little more than a year since it started and it can already play games...even if they're to choppy to be fun...it can also record the emulator screen to a .mov file...and it does support CD, try it.

Oh, also...might wanna check this out: http://www.vgspage.cjb.net/
Old Aug 30, 2002, 11:10 AM   #25
FattyMembrane
macrumors 6502a

thanks for the info on flarestorm solidus. i have to agree with you that for a complete re-write from os9 it is a very impressive program (far better than anything i could do). i've been a little apprehensive about running one of the alpha versions but i guess i'll have to give it a try.

edit: does anyone know what kind of hardware you need to run either of these emulators smoothly? i remember cvgs running on a revA imac, but do these new ones require a more powerful machine?

Last edited by FattyMembrane; Aug 30, 2002 at 11:18 AM.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Games