Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatsmyaibo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
Hello all, I was wondering if this is a common or known issue but after turning of my iPad then attempting to turn it on, sometimes it takes a while to power up. For instance I will hold the power button then after a few seconds let go. Once I let go, it takes about 10 seconds for the Apple to come up.

Also, sometimes it requires me to hold the power button twice and will power on the second time but not the first. Am I alone here? Is it a software thing or should I go to the Apple Store this week?

Thanks!

thatsmyaibo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
That's what I usually do too but I turned it off tonight and after holding down the power button for 3 long seconds, it will stay off, take 5 to 10 seconds then turn on. It's not as instant as my iphone.

MCRunning

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2008
I never turn mine off, but you can try doing a restore. Don't know if you would want to do that though :eek:

Crosbie

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Brighton, UK
It really doesn't need turning off.

My gf has underused her iPad - bought it but has been putting off letting it replace her MBA. The upshot is it's been sitting around in sleep mode for weeks after the first charge.

She switched it on the other night to find it still had 75% charge. After several weeks. Sleep mode is very efficient.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Lately it's been taking about 10 seconds for my apple logo to show up to after hitting the power button. I always get scared and think that it won't turn back on. It'll probably get fixed with a restore so i don't ever really worry about it. Plus I don't turn my iPad off much. Don't think u need to worry too much. My iPhone used to do the same thing every once in a while

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I noticed this today as well. It takes mine a good 10-15 seconds to turn on. So much so that it's hard to tell if I actually was successful turning it on. Rather strange.

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
I don't get why people are turning off their iPads. One of the best features is instant on from standby and the low battery usage in standby (virtually none if you have notifications off). I've had mine two months and never turned it off. Once I rebooted because it hung, that is it. Why do people feel the need to power down their iPad except in problem situations?

Fissure

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Because I power stuff off when I'm not using them. It's just what I do. There's no real benefit for me to leave it on so off it goes. My 3GS turns on almost instantly, I thought the iPad would be the same. No biggie, if Apple thought it never needed to be off then I guess they wouldn't have included that "feature".

thatsmyaibo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I restored it last night as a new iPad and it did the same thing. I'm guessing it is normal but it is kind of odd. I'm just hoping that it won't lead to problems outside of my apple care coverage.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
I only "turn mine off" when i feel the need to reboot it. I'm talking at the push and hold the sleep to get the "slide to power down"

It's made to go into sleep mode - that is why they taut the long battery life in standby! I figure if they wanted us to shut them off all the time, we'd just hit the sleep button, not have to hold it and slide and all that jazz.

It would drive me nuts to have to wait for it to actually boot up each time.

OK, i just timed my 3rd gen iPod Touch, twice because it hadn't been "rebooted" in forever. 44 seconds from the time i hit & held the power button on top.

Now to go test my iPad - which is charging. OK, from the push and hold the sleep/power button it was 35 seconds to be able to unlock it. How are you guys getting 10-15?

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
I don't get why people are turning off their iPads. One of the best features is instant on from standby and the low battery usage in standby (virtually none if you have notifications off). I've had mine two months and never turned it off. Once I rebooted because it hung, that is it. Why do people feel the need to power down their iPad except in problem situations?

Mine can act glitchy so I turn it off for a quick second sometimes.

thatsmyaibo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 17, 2007
I just tried it in the Apple Store on the demo 3G models and they power on instantly. I'm really hoping this won't cause a future issue with the hardware. I shouldn't have to try twice to power it on or press the button and wait 30 seconds for the apple to pop up.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Mines takes as long as my iPhone 4 if. Not quicker. Mind you I just got mine this week but it doesn't take long at all

Aspergirlie

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2022
I have to restart mine to get the app badge to disappear from my news folder. One can appear for like 455 unread when I don’t have any unread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.