Can't delete files from server - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Aug 5, 2010, 01:00 PM   #1
vader599
macrumors newbie

Can't delete files from server

Don't know if anyone else has this issue....

When I copy files to a PC server and I want to delete it because I posted a wrong file, I get a message that I can delete the file because it is use. I double check and the file is not in use and programs are not running.

I sometime get that I can't delete a folder because the .ds store file is in use.

Anyone have these issue and know how to resolve?
vader599 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2010, 04:27 PM   #2
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Stop putting .DSStore files on Windows shares!!! The .DSStrore file is for a Mac files folder files to be in the same place where left them the last time a Mac user was there on a HFS+ file system. So the NTFS system of the Windows Files server doesn't know what to do with them. So follow the Apple document Mac OS X v10.4 and later: How to prevent .DS_Store file creation over network connections to stop those files from writing onto network shares.
satcomer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:13 PM   #3
jonwayne77
macrumors newbie

Can't delete files on server

Hi everyone,

I work on large raid systems for video editing. I starting to run into problems where I'm not able to delete some files because "the item is in use". However I know that they are not. I can move the file from folder to folder but not delete it.

I was reading some forums that used the "sudo rm -rf" command in the terminal but this was for deleting from the computers trash can. I decided to try it and I got this warning

"WARNING: Improper use of the sudo command could lead to data loss
or the deletion of important system files. Please double-check your
typing when using sudo. Type "man sudo" for more information.

To proceed, enter your password, or type Ctrl-C to abort.
"

This is very scary as we have a lot of valuable info on these raids. Does anyone know an easier way around this?
jonwayne77 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking