Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

csunflip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
Is this possible with the current version of iTunes and itunnel?

I want to transfer some stuff at work and we don't use WiFi here....

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Is this possible with the current version of iTunes and itunnel?

I want to transfer some stuff at work and we don't use WiFi here....

It used to be possible, not sure if the iTunnel was already updated

Edit: website says that is not working with iTunes 9 yet sorry!

Just create an ad hoc connection with your iphone and SSH into it

csunflip

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2010
It used to be possible, not sure if the iTunnel was already updated

Edit: website says that is not working with iTunes 9 yet sorry!

Just create an ad hoc connection with your iphone and SSH into it

I can't...dont have wifi built into my desktop at work. So its USB or nothing for now! Until I get home of course...

anonymous6237

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2007
Plano, TX
Totally forgot, all you want is to transfer files, I was thinking you actually wanted to run some commands and stuff.

Use iPhone Explorer or Phone Disk (both Free) and you get root access if you are jail broken.

I don't think DiskAid give you root access...(could be wrong)

I haven't used DiskAid since my iPhone 2G so you could be correct. I prefer to use SSH whenever possible.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Totally forgot, all you want is to transfer files, I was thinking you actually wanted to run some commands and stuff.

Use iPhone Explorer or Phone Disk (both Free) and you get root access if you are jail broken.

I don't think DiskAid give you root access...(could be wrong)

DiskAid gives you root access

lawlist

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
ssh via usb iphone mac osx python terminal cydia openssh

For those users with a Mac computer who are Googling and looking for a method to ssh via usb to a current generation firmware iOS device (e.g., an iPhone 4.1), it is not only possible, but fairly easy to accomplish — you need two files — place tcprelay.py and usbmux.py in the same directory on the Mac (with tcprelay.py being chmod-ed so that it is executable, like 755) — from the terminal window inside the directory containing the two aforementioned files, type: ./tcprelay.py -t 22:2222 &

For non-experts, you can then use a sftp client — the server is localhost, and the port is 2222. For ssh experts who use the terminal, you don’t need my help (I need yours). The files are here:

https://github.com/gilir/usbmuxd-debian/tree/debian/python-client/

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
Forgive me if I'm missing anything but...

I've always been able to SSH via USB, but I need to connect to my iPhone through USB tethering first. Nothing more than iTunes and afc2add is needed.

lawlist

macrumors member
May 19, 2010
I would be interested in learning if cathyy's alternative method would work on OSX 10.6.5 and iTunes 10.1 with an iPhone running 4.1. Some prior Googling on an alternative possibility led me to believe that the method of which cathyy speaks only worked with a prior version of iTunes and many users were reporting a failure to connect, and a recommended solution was to install a missing dll file, and another comment by a user was that "a small patching of the CommCenter is necessary, but there are also other methods for enabling the tethering again". Does someone have a "step by step" process for the method of which cathyy speaks (but for for current software / firmware)?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.